+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive always done that too! And i have found that DD started talking early and has an amazing vocabulary for her age

I dont understand baby talk at all :/

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If we only ever talked to our kids about things they'd understand, how would babies even learn to talk?

DD is almost 7 and we were discussing reincarnation the other day, and just this morning in the car we briefly covered domestic violence (Love the Way You Lie was on, and she said she liked it, then had a laugh when Eminem says, "Next time, there will be no next time," so I explained what he meant... what the song as about... blah blah).

I figure the only way she's going to learn about these things is by someone talking to her about them... and that person might as well be me in many cases, so at least I know she's getting some sort of truthful, non-BS talk...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    If we only ever talked to our kids about things they'd understand, how would babies even learn to talk?

DD is almost 7 and we were discussing reincarnation the other day, and just this morning in the car we briefly covered domestic violence (Love the Way You Lie was on, and she said she liked it, then had a laugh when Eminem says, "Next time, there will be no next time," so I explained what he meant... what the song as about... blah blah).

I figure the only way she's going to learn about these things is by someone talking to her about them... and that person might as well be me in many cases, so at least I know she's getting some sort of truthful, non-BS talk...
    This is exactly how I hope to be with my LO when she is this age.

I do the same thing OP. DD is 22 months and I converse with her all the time. She is talking well for her age, but EVERYONE comments on how much she understands, and I put it down to speaking to her like a person. I detest baby talk and shows like "In the night garden" make me want to pull my own fingernails out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldnt agree more sassy!

DD gets very frank and open and honest conversations out of me.

We discuss our family, as in her dad and I not living together, my DP, her dads DP. We discuss life and death.. She was about 2 and a half when I lost my stillborn daughter, her sister, and we have talked about death as she very well knew that mummy had a baby in her tummy and she was getting a sister - i had to be honest when she didnt get that sister. In age appropriate language so she can understand, but still death was a concept completely foreign to her and by using words and language she already knows she somewhat understands what death is. Which came in handy a few months ago when our puppy died, she remembered the concept of death then at 4 and a half! Of course she was upset when the dog died, but she was also very accepting.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't do baby talk either. Grates on me something fierce!!

I repeat the goo's and gaa's of a newborn as conversation, but the rest is normal speaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh phew! I'm not crazy then. A few months ago at her 18month check up I was worried about her speech but then a week later she had verbal explosion and now won't stop talking lol. I have had a few comments from people surprised at what she understands and how well she says some things.
    Oh good I will keep having these conversations with her then, thanks everyone!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misscheekysmum For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always spoken to dd2 with respect, I try to treat and speak to her like a person not a baby. I read her the paper, let her help me with the cooking etc. It's actually amazing just how much they can comprehend even though they might not be able to say much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I sometimes find myself treating and speaking to DS in ways that are far above his age and comprehension. It's very unfair, sometimes I forget he's only 6. In terms of the human life, that's still very young. I do have to stop myself sometimes.

I always get him to remind me of things we need. He has a crazy good memory so he never forgets things while we're at the shops etc wheras I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nice one Misscheeky...thank you! As a teacher of young kids, breaking the 'baby talk' habit is hard. By structuring your questions and sentences properly - such as, "would you like a sandwich?" rather than "you want sandwich?" - you are modeling appropriate grammar from a young age. They may not get it until they are much older, they may pick out the key words - "want sandwich" - to start with but they will get there.

Two thumbs up from me!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we talk to dd the same as we talk to each other.