+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Talking to your child like they are older?

I found myself this morning saying to my 20month old "DD do you know where the broom is darling?" and while at the shops "DD do you remember what I was supposed to buy?"
    Sometimes I forget that she isn't going to be able to answer my questions but I still ask anyway.
    Does anyone else do this or am I the only crazy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have always done that....I find it helps them learn to speak really well....and early.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (05-06-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you SHOULD be doing this. Minus the adult themes ofcourse. In a couple of months she will be saying to you "You left the broom on the deck mummy." "We do need more bread." It's important that they learn to talk like people and not just baby talk all the time. My DS has always been a great help, he always knows where I left stuff

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (05-06-2012),MissMuppet  (06-06-2012),Mod-Myztik  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always done that as well.

The other day I hopped in the car and went to drive off and my 3-year-old says, "Mummy, did you get your phone?" (I always forget it.) So it has obviously done some good!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (05-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Constantly. I can't stand hearing people talk to kids with every word ending in "eee" drives me nuts. My DD has awesome talking skills (nearly 3) and I put a lot of it down to just normal conversation, proper pronounciation and if something gets a nickname, its normally because she's made it up, not us.

DD has always sat in the trolley with the list 'telling' me what's on it (mostly from memory because I say when we go into the shops what we need. We get some funny looks! She was asked the other day if she wanted a necklace by her auntie, she said "yes, I could do with another!".

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the only way I've ever spoken to my kids! I only ever did a little baby talk when they were newborns.

Even when they were babies and toddlers I spoke to them normally and always gave them a chance to answer back so we could have a conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the time, since he was in my belly. I can't stand baby talk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I do it too, and DD usually answers

It makes me laugh when she comes out with things like "Mmm thank you - that's delicious!" and "Hmm.. perhaps..." "Maybe I would like XYZ..." and "No, I don't think so." She says things in such a funny little grown up way, and it usually makes people who don't know her jump a little!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do this with DS too. I always talk to him doing the grocery shopping asking what's on the list, how many bananas we need etc. People look at me like I'm crazy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive done it with my 3 kids. Spoken to them as if they could understand me, from when they were born. I really dont like baby talk its not necessary. My kids are great at holding conversations, even the 2 year old. I do notice how much my sd suffers with her speach, reading and conversational skills from not having been spoken too, like i have with my own kids. Ive also heard her speak to her 2 year old sister in that baby voice, which i must say grates on my nerves but thats the way shes been brought up by her bm.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub