+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We started at 4 months, DD was grabbing for our food, watching intently while we ate and mimicked our mouth movements while we ate, I spoke to our CHN and she said while its not recommended that if I thought she wanted food then give it a go, as long as there is no tongue thrust reflex (I think that's what it's called). Trust your own instincts every child is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd started at 4 mths buy wouldn't eat anything ... At 7 mths old he still wasnt eating but I finally figured it out ... The little monster wanted to feed herself lol ... So she ended up skipping the purée stage and going to lumper foods so she could do it.

Should have been a sign of how "spirited" and "independent minded" she would become

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD1 started on solids at 3.5 months on the recommendation of my GP. She took to it straight away.

DD2 I tried at 4 months as she was showing signs of being ready but turns out she wasn't quite there do left it for another 2 or so weeks and tried again and she loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I started with bub at 4.5 months, one meal per day until 6 months when we went to 2, then 3.

My doctor said the WHO Guidelines are out of date, that they are mainly designed for babies in third world countries where there is a poor nutritional food supply. My MACH nurse said the 4 month guidelines are old, and like the doc said the 6 month guidelines are under review. She said current recommendation from the state health authority is that parents start solids sometime between 4 and 6 months depending on readiness signs the baby is displaying (bub is interested in what you're eating, tries to put things in their mouth, loses the tongue thrust reflex, can hold their head up).

At my bubs 4 month check up the nurse gave bub an oral vaccine and he tried to drink it... Had definitely lost the tongue thrust reflex.

Bub had started waking earlier around 4 months but when we started solids bub slept later.
    My daughter's paediatrician said exactly the same thing, and she also recommended we start solids with our daughter around but not before 17 weeks because we have family history of food allergies and she said that leading allergists are recommending not delaying solids as allergies are more likely to develop when you wait.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to saltygirl For This Useful Post:

French Pear  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank your everyone for you input. I have been quickly checking in but as I'm sure you all are experienced in, sometimes you just don't get the time to reply as you would like!

I started my DD on solids when she was 19.5 weeks and she has taken to it well. She thinks when we eat its just too fun and I think we both are enjoying the journey together!

I had also heard that the WHO guidelines are out of date and my GP advised us to start too.

Thanks again ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As far as I am aware, the WHO guidelines are not out of date.

Just so others reading this thread don't get the wrong message

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's amazing how many times in the last 2 years I have heard 'WHO guidelines are out of date' or 'WHO guidelines are changing to 4 months' yet they still haven't changed...

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    It's amazing how many times in the last 2 years I have heard 'WHO guidelines are out of date' or 'WHO guidelines are changing to 4 months' yet they still haven't changed...
    Yeah, I posted the newest guidelines above (the draft recommendations, which will be published shortly) which state 22-26 weeks

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    6 months with BLW.
    The 2003 IFG NHMRC guideline are being reviewed and will be published soon and the indications are that the time of starting solids is to remain at around 6 months, but the detail says this is from 22 weeks onwards (5 months) to take in all babies, ie some are born earlier than others and signs of readiness etc.
    http://consultations.nhmrc.gov.au/fi...tion111212.pdf
    just repeating this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We started offering DS2 solids (we did BLW) at 6 months but he didn't start eating until he was about 8 months.

DS1 we started at 16 Weeks on recommendation from his paed sure to reflux but I believe it made his reflux worse so I wouldn't try that again personally.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub