+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My MIL wanted Mama and cried when I said no!!! Argh! She now makes DD call her Grand-Mama. I only ever call her Grandma. I'd MUCH prefer omi! Is it perhaps more that your MIL grinds your gears more then it actually being the name?

I have so much anger towards my ILs that the smallest or small things infuriates me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your MIL comes from a German family then her grandma would have been omi (or oma) even if your MIL was born and bred in Australia. It's not just a word, it has a lot of emotional connections. Think of all of your happy memories with your grandmother growing up. Big hugs for no reason, sweets, huge family get-togethers at the grandparents' house... all of these for your MIL are wrapped in the name 'omi'.

And if your MIL is really bad than at least it won't be tainting the word 'grandma' for you!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know where you're coming from, OP. Before DS was born, my mum wanted him to call her by her first name. I had a huge teary about it (pregnancy hormones) and she ended up loving being granny. It's hard if it's your MIL though, mums are generally easier to boss around

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    She's the grandparent.. she should be able to choose what the kids call her.. unless it's mum or mummy like some crazy grandparents I've heard about!!!
    This ^^^^ I think it's really important and a very special thing for grandparents to choose what they're called. It's like us deciding if we want to be mama, mum, ma, etc etc etc.

Just go with it. As someone else said, the kids will probably choose a different name for her anyway. My dad was called poppy (insert name) by my nieces and nephews but when my DS1 came along, poppy came out a bit skewed and it stuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my grandparents went by grandma. She was a horrible woman and we ended up cutting her out of our life. When lo was born my mil decided to call herself grandma. In my head grandma was a bad word! But after a few weeks it sunk in that lo was going to have a nice grandma and it doesnt bother me as much. Sometimes you need to let things slide and just grit your teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Omi is nice. My step grandparents are dutch so we say Oma and Opa. My mum and Stepdad will be nana and poppy. My sister already has kids so they kinda chose that path. My MIL and FIL are waiting on us for grandkids but we have dogs which FIL started calling the grandkids. So I took that as my chance to get Grandpa and Grandma in. I want my kids to have different names for MIL, FIL and my parents. That was all I really cared about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL is mumma which I HATE but had no choice as she already had a grandchild who called her this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BabyMama View Post
    My MIL is mumma which I HATE but had no choice as she already had a grandchild who called her this.
    Seriously???? I would be furious! I'm a bit awestruck by your ability to be the bigger person

DD has only one "real" Pop as I don't see my mother and DHs parents have both passed. Friends of DHs family automatically named themselves Grannie and Grandad - which at first bugged me 1) because we weren't consulted 2) I was worried DH would feel like they were trying to replace his parents [which is exactly how SIL reacted and she refuses to talk to them!].... but I let it slide. DH said it didn't bother him, so I figured it shouldn't bother me. Now it's just normal, and they have been so good to DD that I would let them choose any name - EXCEPT Mum and Dad or any variation of!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mil kicked up a stink when BIL and SIL had their first daughter as she wanted to be Oma because she thought she was too young to be nana, she has no German heritage though so it didn't make sense, she is now nan and Fil is grumps
    My parents my nephew kinda chose what they would be my dad is Gumpy and my mum is granma

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex-mil is called nana by my ds and my parents are granny and grandad. At one point when my great-granny was alive my cousins daughter called her little granny while most of us called her granny. Though my dad sometimes gets called grumpy gramps by my 5 year old but dad doesn't mind he thinks it funny.