+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 month old - childcare

I'm helping sil find a day care for her 4 month old. We went to a centre today and it was lovely but the ratios were not right 3 carers and 14 kids, 2 children were alseep in the nursery and the carers were outside.

Is this normal?
    Any advice on what to look for in centres for children this young?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ratio is 1:4 I think now for babies... So they would not be in ratio!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 7 mths old.. The ratio at our centre is 1:4.. If that in all honesty.. There have been times where it's 1:2! And our room is 0 - 18 months. I love our daycare

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other issue I had was the babies were just sitting in bouncers. I was only there for 20 mins but no one even batted an eye lid at them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that they put DS in a bumbo and sit him with the older kids and he watches them have afternoon tea while the workers are preparing it. Or sometimes the bumbo in front of a mirror toy and let him amuse himself, but they are always in the same room. but he has never been left alone (that I am aware of) and while he naps they obviously have the monitor. I've walked in early and the monitor was sitting right next to the carer who was in the next room. One of them has had to come to the office with me to get a form and asked another worker to go in. I have no issue with the bumbo etc as its exactly what I would do but always within eyesight. if I need to run to bathroom etc then I'll pop him on the mat with some toys while I literally run in and back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would find a centre that has a dedicated baby room (0-2 ) and the ratio will be 1:4. Yes, it is totally normal to have bubs in bouncers, especially if they are happy in there. The bubs love it and the older kids like seeing the babies too. The only other tip would be to find a centre that will adhere strictly to bub's routine, especially down to sleep/ feed routines- if he has a special gro bag or something, they will use it. If you find a great centre it can be the start of a beautiful partnership! We have been with ours for 5 years and will continue with them for this bub coming soon. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lke PP have suggested I would find a centre that has a baby room, that goes up to 2 years (max). Both centres DS has been at where from baby - 18months and were wonderful.

DS started at 7 months. Both centres, as far as I could see, didnt have a baby monitor for when they babies were in the sleeping room, never have I walked in and there wasnt a carer within a couple of metres of the sleeping room so would hear anything anyway.

DS spent plenty of time in bouncers, as long as he was happy. 20minutes to me isnt extreme, if they were in there all day thats bad but I seen pcis at the end of each day of what DS got up to so I know he didnt spend all day in his bouncer.

DS had his own specific journal that I read at the end of each day that carers updated each day. Now that hes older hes he has a sheet with what hes ate, slept etc and keeps me updated but when hes was yougner it was much mroe detailed and it kept me very sane! lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our centre also has a dedicated babies room from 6wks - 18months and the ration is 1:4.

They always have at least one carer in the room at all times, even when bubs are sleeping. And they do 10 minute checks on the sleeping bubbas.

As for the rockers, if the child is happy and there is a carer in the room, then I don't see an issue. I'd do that at home too. They can't actively entertain all the children all the time.

I totally love our centre and am completely comfortable leaving DD there (and will be the same when I return to work this time round too). They follow the routine I have set out and kept a detailed daily diary when she was in the nursery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. Ours lets DS have his ergo cocoon and has a sheet/journal with sleep times, food ate and what time, bottles and what time and nappy changes/times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was it a mixed age group, if so it could be ok. For example 1:4 babies and 1:5 toddlers so for three staff as long as only 4 were babies they could have 3:14