+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Co sleeping

So my DD has just recently wanted to sleep in my bed every night. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on that, I swore that I would never co sleep with any of my children, but it's so nice to have her close by. My husband and I are separated so it's not like I don't have the room, but what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you read anything about the benefits of co-sleeping? I'd highly recommend looking up some articles by Professor James McKenna. He is one of the world's leading researchers on infant and child sleep and has written lots about the benefits of co-sleeping.

Here is an extract from something he's recently written:

"Longer-term effects of routine co-sleeping on toddlers (compared with solitary sleeping -- i.e., age-matched sub-groups) and young adults include:
    • Toddlers who routinely bedshared from birth exhibit greater independence when defined in terms of problem-solving capacities (when alone) and making new friends when compared with toddlers who routinely slept alone from birth, although solitary sleepers fell asleep and slept by themselves sooner than did the bedsharers, who'd done so about a year later, comparatively;
    • Childhood bedsharing might reduce the chances of adult obesity;
    • Elementary school children living on an army base who routinely co-slept following the departure of one parent for duty were under-represented in the psychiatric populations and received higher comportment scores from teachers compared with children who did not co-sleep;
    • Young adults report feeling more satisfied with their bodies, giving and receiving affection, and report more secure gender identities, compared with young adults who did not bedshare as infants or children;
    • An 18-year longitudinal study of the effects of bedsharing on stages of human development found superior cognitive abilities at 6 year of age amongst children who bedshared the most.
    Anyone interested in learning more about my co-sleeping and breastfeeding research and my point of view might want to download some of my articles, and/or for a quick overview, they may wish to read my essay on the Neuroanthropology blog, "Cosleeping and Biological Imperatives: Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone," which is available online here."

If it feels good to you and to your daughter, there really are no negatives. Do whatever feels right

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (04-06-2012),miffy25  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 has also recently decided that mum and dad's bed is much cosier than her own. We let it go for a few nights but she was coming in earlier and earlier each night, plus we were all having a shocking nights sleep all being in the same bed. So we made the decision to return her to her bed each night when she got up. She wasn't happy and certainly let us know about this for a couple of nights, but we're back on track now. If its bothering you, it might be worth doing the same, but if it's not then there I don't think there is any real reason to worry about it. She isn't going to want to sleep in your bed forever, they are only little once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Inked in Colour did a really good post that summed up what I thought
    http://www.inkedincolour.com/how-we-...sleeplessness/

(does that show up? if not, just google inked in colour how we mostly conquered sleeplessness.)

I just thought the author summed up my feelings very well.
    "You don’t have to cry it out. You don’t have to teach a baby this young to put themselves to sleep. You can if you want to. But it’s not the only way. There are options. If something doesn’t feel right to you, the parent, don’t do it. You have choices even if your parents or friends don’t know what they are. Don’t be afraid to go against the grain if that’s what your instinct tells you to do. We are all just stumbling around in the dark… and each and every one of us are grateful for the little wins."

Yeah. There's so many things out there that I did just because everyone said they were "right." But not always "right for us."

So go for it. :P