+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spin off* Working mums and down time

In another thread, a poster mentioned using childcare for a break and to get things done like shopping and cleaning, and someone asked how she will do those things if working on the childcare days.

Personally I only ever used childcare for the purpose of paid work, so never had a break or childfree shopping until dd was 6 and in school.

How do you get things done if you have no childfree time?

How do you get down time without having your kids in care other than for paid work?

For me, I involved dd in cooking and cleaning, gave her a list at the shop so she could help, and had my down time when she went to bed at night.

Does anyone have any helpful tips for either working mums without care outside work hours, or mums at home without care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am on mat leave at the moment but normally work part-time(3 days/week) which was the only reason why I used daycare for DD.

4 year old DD still has 2 kindy days a week at daycare while I am on leave but I always have DS at home with me.

I use online shopping for groceries and for domestic chores I wear DS in the ergo and DD "helps" me. She loves cooking.

I use the slow cooker a lot and/or do dinner prep in the late morning / early afternoon. I also often do double dinners ie.casserole one night then potpies the next with the leftovers.

I make appointments for the hairdresser/dentist etc for early Saturday mornings and DH looks after the children or I sometimes just take them with me during the week.

DH is a pretty hands on father so I just take advantage of small moments when I can to have a bubble bath, read a book or listen to music etc for my "downtime".

I also sometimes just enjoy downtime with the kids as well. Eg. we often have a picnic in the backyard then lay on the blankets finding shapes in the clouds. DD also likes going for walks and going to cafes so we do that a bit as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm lucky DD is 28 months and still has an afternoon nap, so on the 4 days I'm not at work I'm rushing around like a mad woman for those 2-3 hours she's napping.

Otherwise things get done when she goes to bed.

Oh how I long to have a day for 'me'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just do everything with the kids around.
    If we have to go t an appointment- they come with me. Shopping-they come with me.

I didn't have babies to have a break lol. I leave them with DH when I want to but its not very often, and usually at night so I am not missing out on them. Work in itself is "time off"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I just do everything with the kids around.
    If we have to go t an appointment- they come with me. Shopping-they come with me.

I didn't have babies to have a break lol. I leave them with DH when I want to but its not very often, and usually at night so I am not missing out on them. Work in itself is "time off"
    Work is not always time off, and yeah I never had a day to myself until dd was halfway through Prep. I'm asking how people get things done with kids around. Giving tips on how I did it. Not to judge, to share tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I NOW get time to me. Both of mine are now in school! So my day off is a day off rather than a day with one child. I must say I do my shopping and any appointments without them on my day off now.

Last year before they were both in school I worked three days and had the other two with my youngest child. Whatever I needed to do, she came with me. I couldn't afford to put her in childcare another day when I was not working to get things done.

I would include her or find something else for her to do. Craft etc was always a big hit and would keep her occupied for ages.

If there was something I needed to do that I could not take them to eg lawyer appt, doctors appt, I would do these things when my DP was able to look after my children.

I guess you make work what you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Work is not always time off, and yeah I never had a day to myself until dd was halfway through Prep. I'm asking how people get things done with kids around. Giving tips on how I did it. Not to judge, to share tips.

OH right, sorry.

Valium. Lots and lots of fabulous Valium.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I leave DS with DP if I need or want to go out. I'm a mother but also human and I'm so very lucky to have a loving partner who respects this. If I want to go out with my girlfriends to dinner, then movies then heck just hang out with them until 1 am I just go. As does he.

Unfortunately when I was a single mum I had no downtime. There was nobody to help whether I worked or not. If I needed a pap smear....guess who came along

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    i agree with lemonhead - my work is my time off, i do enjoy my alone/me time at work where i can be an adult for awhile and have adult conversations
    I've only been working a few months and granted I'm just in reception but I really love my time off . No poo cleaning, no being yelled at, being licked on the face, no having to make lunch and snacks...bliss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    If I needed a pap smear....guess who came along