+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you stay with your toddler until he's asleep?

Or do you let him/her go to sleep on their own in the cot/bed?

He's still in a cot do I can't lie with him but I don't pat him to sleep or anything... He doesn't always fall asleep straight away.

He's 21 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are always in the room until he falls asleep. Recently all we have to do is sit quietly in the room with him. 3 months ago he was rocked or fed to sleep every time, so he is making progress!! Hopefully one day he will do it on his own but we are not going to rush him, we are happy to help him off to sleep for as long as he needs it, it won't be forever!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DD1 she went to sleep alone, no worries. DD2 was not the same so i did stay with her to sleep until very recently (she is 2), i used to sit by the bed, then further away until i was sitting in the hallway and gradually phased myself out completely. She now goes to sleep alone, happily without tears but it took ages. When she wakes at night (which is almost always) i have to stay with her though or she will just cry hysterically.
    Hopefully she will sleep through one day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We co sleep so one of us lays down with him until he is asleep, usually 5-15mins

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

wrena  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I fed my dd to sleep until she was 2 then rocked her until she didn't need rocking when she was about 3 but we co-slept so it was never a problem feeding her in bed.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I needed to with ds#1 until i was in there for over an hour and id think he was asleep, and as soon as i would move he would start screaming (was3.5 at this stage and we were forced to co sleep prior to that) over it! Sat at the door for a maximum of 15 mins for a few weeks after that then stopped

Ds#2 has never needed any assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool, well he never cries and has never been a crier... I just was wondering if on those nights it takes him about half hour to get to sleep I should stay withhim and just rub his back or stroke his forehead... But he does go off to slee on his own eventually if not straight away so I prob shouldn't worry.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's happy there's no need to go in, even if it takes him a while. I only stay with DS if I'm sure he will cry if I leave, he will usually ask to be patted if he wants it, which is only once in a blue moon.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd learnt how to self settle at 7 months. I've always since then put her to bed, said good night and walked out. The only times I've stayed in the room was when she needed comforting for teething or sickness. I now have a 6 week old and I'm starting to put him to bed without me as an 'aid' now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine80 View Post
    Cool, well he never cries and has never been a crier... I just was wondering if on those nights it takes him about half hour to get to sleep I should stay withhim and just rub his back or stroke his forehead... But he does go off to slee on his own eventually if not straight away so I prob shouldn't worry.
    I never have with my kids ... If they call out or cry I will go and see what is going on but only stat until they are settled. Dd is 2 1/2 she has lots of toys in her bed that she will play with before she goes to sleep if she's not quite ready.