+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Stitches after birth - how long did the pain last?

I had a vacuum assisted delivery 8 days ago.

Unfortunately, my little girl twisted around as they pulled her from me, and this caused me to tear.

I have a 2nd degree tear, which was very close to being 3rd degree.

I have had stitches and 8 days on, I am in the same amount of pain as I was the first day.

How long until the pain begins to subside?

I've had panadol but it doesn't touch the pain, and I don't want to take anything stronger.

I've had the stitches checked and they are all fine...no infection or anything.

How long were you in pain after your stitches?

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With dd1 I had a 1st degree tear I think could have been 2nd
    The pain lasted about a week, but I found panadol took the pain away

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 3rd degree terrible tearing with DS1. I think the pain peaked around 7 - 10 days and then got better from there.

BTW DS2 was 1st degree tear with no pain so don't be scared about next time (I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I wished someone had told me!).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

Missabubble  (04-06-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It may not be the stitches. With me it wasn't, it was the grazing I had that caused the pain, the stitches were fine. OMG it was excruciating and had me in tears every time I had to pee, and sitting was very uncomfortable.

The answer is here in white if you want to know, it took 3 weeks for me to feel improvement, which seemed like forever at the time, but was over quite quickly in hindsight. Really, knowing how long won't help you now. I hope you feel better soon op, and considering I am soon due, I hope I am not sharing your pain soon.

I made up bottles of salt water to pour over myself evertime I had to pee, or I just peed in the shower, patted dry and then blow dried on cool. I found voltaren/ nurofen better than panadol for pain relief.

Oh and just to relieve future worry, I had no tearing or pain with my second birth. I birthed in a different position and didn't need any stitches or have any grazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in extreme pain for 2 weeks then bad pain for a few months and extreme discomfort for 12 months, now 2 years on I still get sore

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

2Bboys, thanks so much for telling me that your second wasn't as bad. It has crossed my mind that I might tear like this again but I'm glad that may not be the case (although it's still worth it ).

Thanks Opinionated. I have grazing too...it hadn't occurred to me that it could be that as well. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully it'll stop hurting soon! I wish you all the best with your upcoming birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a vac extraction with 2nd degree tear with ds1 and also think it peaked around 10 days and slowly got better. With ds2 I also had a vac extraction and an episiotomy and the pain was so much better, hardly any pain in comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try anti-inflammatories with panadol, will work better in combination. Also grab some ural sachets from the chemist, will reduce that horrible stinging/burning pain when you pee. Besides that, spend as much time as you can resting lying down to take the pressure off

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a vacuum extraction & 2nd degree tear with my LO. I was in a lot of pain! After 3 weeks the pain dulled slightly but still uncomfortable for 6-8 weeks. Get one of those blow up rings to sit on. Takes the pressure off your stitches. Really helped me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you take the proper pain relief for the pain you are experiencing ... You've already been thru childbirth you are already a hero.
    If it continues tho check with doc in case you have an infectin