+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    OP, my sister used one of those on your list, and while good, it's not worth the money. I myself have had 2 private births at Frances Perry. Yes, an extended stay and 5 star hotel is nice, but it's not the be all and end all. I also had a little more intervention than I would have liked because I had a private ob. Obstetricians work form a medical model which is about managing risk. Midwifery works from a more nursing type approach that views birth as a normal life event to be managed in the best way to support the patient. Neither way is more correct than the other, just different. The midwifery approach often results in less intervention for low risk mums.

I am having my soon to be born baby at the Family Birth Centre at the Mercy. I cannot fault the care and attention that I have recieved from them. The FBC does not have a catchment area and accepts any mother that is low risk. Also, the FBC is co-located within the Mercy hospital which along with the Royal Womens is the only other tertiary maternity hospital in Melbourne. You cannot be in a better place if for some reason you end up having any type of complication. Give them a call and go for a tour asap. They are public and all your care is bulk billed, but you do get personal attention.
    DId they really say you would not be out of pocket at all for any pregnancy appointments? I would complain if this is the case. No health cover does that, as others have said. I have top cover and ended up going public anyway, but with a private midwife, for all the reasons that Opinionated has said about the different care models.

I am going to the royal women's (due in 4 weeks) and am very impressed with them. I saw the birth suites and they are actually better than the ones my friend had privately at st Vincent's (she did not have a bath which is very important to me). Downside is of course that you don't have a private post natal room guaranteed. But that is worth it to me. Oh, and partners not being able to stay over. But hopefully I won't be in more than 24 hours anyway.

I also don't find the prospect of a 5 night hospital stay appealing and would rather go home, but I understand why some women would want that extra time. I'd rather the midwives come to my home which is what will happen instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have probably made your decision by now but I had my son 3 years ago at Frances Perry and my OB was Ross Pagano and he was amazing. Nothing was ever a drama. I'm the only person I know who's OB actually showed up for the birth and he checked on me every hour during my 17 hour labour and stayed until I gave birth at 11pm. From memory I think I was about $3000 out of pocket and you pay in instalments so you don't have to put all the money up in one go so when you get your refund from medicare put it aside for the next installment. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've also got top cover and I've had all mine public with midwives. It's beyond me why anyone low-risk wanting a normal birth would go private.

This time I am going private due to having twins and wanting an Ob that supports my birth choices as I cannot access midwifery care in the public system (I'm hiring an Independent midwife as well). They can't even guarantee a private room for a woman having twins- its a rip off.

Id def go public if you don't need to go private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    It's beyond me why anyone low-risk wanting a normal birth would go private.
    I am sure there are a lot of reasons for that

For me, I need continuity of care above all and RWH can not guarantee a spot in their midwife program. I also want to spend more than 2 days in the hospital to give me more chance to get the breastfeeding happening.
    Being a first bub, I would be happy with a private room, so we don't have to adapt to another baby/mum sleep patter. I would love for DH to be able to stay with us too.
    But I agree it is very pricey and if everything goes well with this one I will prob not go private for next bubs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Has anyone had experience with any of the following obstetricians in Melbourne?

- Lisa Begg
    - Samantha Hargreaves
    - Vicki Woodward
    - Vicki Knott
    - Fiona Cowell

I am also deciding between Epworth Freemasons and Frances Perry if you have experiences with these.

Any info you could give me would be great. Please PM me! Thank you.

This is my first post - can others PM me?
    Last edited by AMG85; 30-12-2013 at 21:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG85 View Post
    Hi ladies,

- Lisa Begg
    - Samantha Hargreaves
    - Vicki Woodward
    - Vicki Knott
    - Fiona Cowell

I am also deciding between Epworth Freemasons and Frances Perry if you have experiences with these.

Hi Hun,
    I had Fiona cowell as my ob with ds 2 and she is amazing. Such a beautiful caring manner and made me feel at ease every time. I had a difficult pregnancy and she was always so reassuring both in person and over the phone/email. Unfortunately my bun came early and she was in Sydney for the one night so I amnot sure what she is like when birthing, but I would have thought that she would have been great.

I also had both of my boys at epworth Freemasons in 09 and 11 and had beautiful drug free vaginal births. The hospital stay and food was great. I have heard that the hospital has had room upgrades too .

I certainly would use Fiona again and birth at Freemasons if I were living in Melbourne still. Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. Info is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm with Vicki Nott and she is fantastic. I'm high risk and she is super proactive with everything since losing last bub at 17 weeks in June. Even with the last pregnancy she was very good with me coming in for extra scans. She is caring and will always take the time to answer any questions or concerns.
    She is the owner of the practice with Fiona Cowell and another 3 female OBs. Fiona is lovely too as I had a scan with her when Vicki was away. Also as Vicki is on holidays I am seeing Miranda Robinson weekly till she gets back and she is really good too.
    Oh forgot to mention vicki only delivers at St Vincent's and she is expensive.

Good luck with who you choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG85 View Post
    Hi ladies,

- Lisa Begg
    - Samantha Hargreaves
    - Vicki Woodward
    - Vicki Knott
    - Fiona Cowell

Lisa Begg is wonderful. She was in my OB's team (I saw her a number of times on my OB's days off, while on hospital bed rest.) and I was 100% happy with her. I had my twins at Frances Perry and was very happy there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sezzle,

I'm trying to decide between Dr Karen Williamson and Dr Lisa Begg. I understand they're both part of the same ob group and chances are I might see one when the other one's away (like what you said). What did you like about Lisa Begg? and by any chance, did you experience Karen Williamson as well? Thanks!