+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to work-angry

I had a sit down with my mangers last week to ask me what I wanted to do on my return from mat leave! I was shocked as I have not even left yet and now I have to decide what I want to do on my return.

I said I would like to return 4 days ideally but was told I would not able to return to my position part time or even be able to Job share with the other lady who works 3 days a week. I said that I really don't want to come back ft and our work policy stats that they are family friendly and will try to accommodate where possible. NOT! They then said that if there were no other pt positions available in the co. I would have to come back ft or stay on unpaid may leave until I decided to come back ft, however either way I would need to return after 12 months.

I feel betrayed and angry as this is stress I don't want 10 weeks prior to dd being born. I'm not asking for much just 1 day off!

Is anyone else in a similar position!

End rant

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't stress? Who even knows if the company will be in business by then. You may have won tattslotto and be living on an island somewhere. The company is being really premature. Enjoy your maternity leave and baby.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

86cin  (04-06-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (04-06-2012),tormyxxx  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can go to hr but I'm avoiding ruffling feathers while I'm still working. Also avoiding the stress. Unfortunately it's a GOC so we will def be around by the time I'm back. Just keep thinking 8 weeks till I'm on leave!! Just don't understand why they would bring this up so early. It feels like they are bullying me into a ft decision so they don't have to deal with it.

My next question is if I do take unpaid mat leave can I get a pt job elsewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My work tried some dodgies, contact the fairwork ombudsman... They're really good and can tell you exactly what your rights are etc

Good luck with everything!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joolsnoose View Post
    I can go to hr but I'm avoiding ruffling feathers while I'm still working. Also avoiding the stress. Unfortunately it's a GOC so we will def be around by the time I'm back. Just keep thinking 8 weeks till I'm on leave!! Just don't understand why they would bring this up so early. It feels like they are bullying me into a ft decision so they don't have to deal with it.

My next question is if I do take unpaid mat leave can I get a pt job elsewhere?
    You don't have to decide now. I work in HR - I would recommend having a chat with them. They will probably have a fit when they hear what your boss said! Who knows if a part-time
    role will be available or not in 12 months? They can't know that for sure. And closer to the time of your return (6-8 weeks before) you can make a formal application for flexible work hours. The company has to give you a written response and can only refuse on reasonable business grounds. This is under the FWA and they also have to consider EEO legislation. To be honest I think it would be hard for them to say no to 4 days. What is it you do? I would suggest asking for an initial 12 month period with review after that time. Makes it harder for them to say no. And if it works well it will be hard for them to say it can't continue.

As for working elsewhere while you are in mat leave - no you can't. You can't be an employee for more than one employer unless they both know and agree to it. It would be grounds for dismissal if your original employer found out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry Hun but if they are a private company they are not obliged to offer you part time hours. They have a business to run and depending on their stucture too many part time positions may not be viable (after all it can make work flows and communication more difficult).

I'd chat to hr still. It might be that you just have some bad mangers and it's not the companies overall view.

If hr say part time is out, then you may have to look for another job.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry Hun but if they are a private company they are not obliged to offer you part time hours. They have a business to run and depending on their stucture too many part time positions may not be viable (after all it can make work flows and communication more difficult).

I'd chat to hr still. It might be that you just have some bad mangers and it's not the companies overall view.

If hr say part time is out, then you may have to look for another job.

Good luck.
    Not the case. While the outcome might be a no in the end, there are laws and processes for these type of scenarios. Assuming it is not an employer with less than 15 employees and the employee has requisite amount of service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Not the case. While the outcome might be a no in the end, there are laws and processes for these type of scenarios. Assuming it is not an employer with less than 15 employees and the employee has requisite amount of service.
    Agree they have to go through the right process but in the end we shouldn't expect a private company to bend their operations (in a way that doesnt work for them) due to our changing circumstances.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    As for working elsewhere while you are in mat leave - no you can't. You can't be an employee for more than one employer unless they both know and agree to it. It would be grounds for dismissal if your original employer found out.
    Im a little confused by that comment??? while on PAID maternity leave you cant work elsewhere .. but when on UNPAID maternity leave I'm sure you can??!! I worked a part time job while on upaid maternity leave from teaching .. because I couldn't commit to working full time during school hours??

If being PAID by an employer you're obligated to tell them what you are doing work wise, but if on unpaid leave I dont think you are??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    Im a little confused by that comment??? while on PAID maternity leave you cant work elsewhere .. but when on UNPAID maternity leave I'm sure you can??!! I worked a part time job while on upaid maternity leave from teaching .. because I couldn't commit to working full time during school hours??

If being PAID by an employer you're obligated to tell them what you are doing work wise, but if on unpaid leave I dont think you are??
    Nope - you can't really be employed by two places at once if you are a permanent employee (casual is not the same). While on unpaid leave you are still their employee and bound by their policies and procedures, etc and most employment contracts would have a clause about this in it. I don't know if this applies at smaller workplaces but all the ones I have it has. There have actually been policies about it and if you want to get a second job, etc then you need to get permission. You can't have two primary employers.

I'm sure some workplaces don't bother about it but you are still an employee if you are unpaid leave. It would be the same if you took a sabbatical or six months unpaid leave to go travelling.

Of course this is all moot if you get permission - then its no issue (as long as you remain the primary carer of the child - if you don't then you are not entitled to remain on parental leave)

http://ways2work.business.vic.gov.au/parents-and-carers/maternity-and-parental-leave/on-unpaid-parental-leave

Another good link for NSW is http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/Maternity_at_Work.pdf
    Last edited by kw123; 04-06-2012 at 22:09.