+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mplum,

As you can see from my posts above, I've had a successful first IUI implant. I am currently 36 weeks and am counting down the days.

I'm really not sure of stats and success rates etc but going off my experience I would highly recommend it before shelling out thousands on IVF. For me it was roughly $370 out of pocket which I found really reasonable.

Let me know if I can help with any other information you might be interested in. Good luck with your first cycle! May all your wishes come true!

Karla

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Storm - we have unexplained issues & low AMH (3.6) and got pregnant on our first IUI (sadly we lost that one). Two subsequent IUI's were unsuccessful. Before IUI we were not ready for IVF but, like Rachael the IUI kind of gave us a push towards IVF. And because I had been through the bloods, scans, monitoring and some of the meds with IUI, I'm not finding IVF quite so scary. Good luck whatever you choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, regarding the cost of IUI, does it vary according to state or clinic?? I have my first appt with an IVF clinic in Melbourne, I was referred by a FS at Mercy Hospital who told me it would cost about $1500, dont know if thats out of pocket or before medicare rebate, oh & I don't have private insurance.

Am just wondering why it would be $1500 in one clinic when one of the previous posters said it cost her $370 out of pocket?? I guess private cover may make a big difference???

Another question- I had an HSG done & the whole thing was excruciatingly painful from go to whoa, the first speculum they put in was awful, it was too big. So they swapped it to a smaller one... But they then had trouble seeing my cervix... & had to keep trying to get the catheter in over & over again.. then putting the catheter in & blowing up the balloon to hold it in place caused me such intense cramping that the head of radiology (who was called in eventually to help), let the balloon down quickly to stop the pain. It all took more than an hour. it was a nightmare.

Sooooo I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the idea of having IUI.... Given that it involves a speculum & a catheter!!!!! Do they give u anything at all?? Any pain relief or a relaxant maybe??? I'm gonna have to talk to the FS about it obviously

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Juniper, in Queensland my IUI was $1064, and got around half that back from medicare, can't claim any of this on private health insurance.

I have also had a HSG done and I hated it too, had a similar experience to you. But I have had 3 x IUI's and they have been fine, not painful at all. I had no pain relief and it only takes about 5 minutes.

Good luck, you will be fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ABH For This Useful Post:

juniper74  (07-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ABH! It's really reassuring to hear that. The FS might not even recommend IUI, but it's technically what I've been referred for... However am more than ready to go with wot ever she suggests will offer the best outcome.

Thanx again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

I'm on my second iui with donor sperm. I too had an awful HSG . Issues with catheter, balloon popped out of place and one tube partly blocked so ended up with bad cramping. The nurse and doctor even bumped heads together trying to see what they were doing.

In the ivf v iui debate. I wasn't't mentally ready for ivf. It just seemed like such a big deal. So opted for iui. Am on my second attempt after the first failed. It has definitely made me more prepared for ivf if this second round doesn't work ill be heading straight to it. Although financially would have been better off with ivf first as donor sperm is $950 per try with no rebate or claiming on private health. Iui is around $750 including meds and you get just over $500 back from Medicare

The other benefit of Ivf is instead of using a full amp of semen, the can use a half. So if it doesn't work first time, you don't necessarily have to pay for another amp.

Just do your homework, and be at peace with whatever decision you make. It's an up and down ride, but thankfully the haven of Bubhub is here

i guess the other upside to ivf is that you know from the outset if the quality of the donor is good or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CandE For This Useful Post:

juniper74  (07-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So CandE, have u had any issues with the IUI being painful or uncomfortable given that ur HSG was difficult too? The head of radiology who ended up coming in to help with mine after 40 odd mins of agony was great - & she said if I ever need another that I have to make sure it is only booked for her to do it. Which ill defo be doing if I need another!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im currently baking an IUI baby My FS wanted me to do 3 cycles before IVF this time (went straight to IVF with DD). She said if IUI is going to work, statistics show it will in the first 3 cycles so its not worth continuing beyond that. Cycle 1 I had a BFN, Cycle 2 I had a BFP with a missed m/c at 8 weeks, Cycle 3 is this bubs. Im now 28 weeks pregnant.

I has a very painful HSG before DD, Im sure it was the HSG that got me pregnant with her as I got my BFP that cycle. She is now 3 1/2. Most of my IUIs with this bubs weren't painful, though the 3rd one (the sticky BFP!) was.

It can happen, good luck!!!
    Last edited by waitinghoping; 07-08-2013 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't have fertility issues have you considered the turkey based method? I went through 3 IUIs, 1 was medicated 2 were not, got pregnant once, had miscarriage. Moved onto IVF 3 fresh cycles, 1 pregnancy miscarriage again. Was fed up, and found a donor online. He did all,the testing they do through a clinic but quarantine for 6 months. Had 2 cycles with him, 1 st one chemical pregnancy, second one I am baking a healthy 32 week bub.

So if your single give some thought to other options, all my IUI,s were totally at my expense, no medicated rebate was about $3000 a pop. Clinics are not always the best option, they're are safe ways to find donors and get pregnant that way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Juniper,

My first and only IUI was anything but painful. Took about 10 mins and most of that was just laying there after the insert to make sure it all settled down and made its way in. Like I said in previous posts I was out of pocket around the $370 mark so well worth a go at least. My IUI bub is now a healthy and happy 3 month old and i'm just so pleased we went that route before the cost of having to do IVF. Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do and may it be successful for you!