+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IUI success, anyone??

Hi eveyone.
    Out of curiosity has anyone had a successful IUI? I am trying to decide between IVF and IUI using donor sperm (I am a single 39 year old) but I haven't read any good results regarding IUI. I just worry for I have limited savings and would have to take a loan out if I wanted IVF so am trying to work out finacially what my best option would be. IUI is going to cost just over $1000 each try but there seems to be more success with IVF.
    So please, are there any successful IUI woman out there??
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi stormgirl73,

We have unexplained infertility and was told to try IUI first. After getting a BFN we felt it was a waste of time and went straight into IVF. My friend recently tried IUI and will also go straight into IVF. What IUI did was push us into IVF without a second thought. You are still leaving a lot up to chance with IUI i.e. hope that the sperm and egg meet on top of the other steps that are involved with IVF. If you had success with your first IUI it's great because you didn't have to go down the IVF path but unfortunately you'll never know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi we had success with our first try at IUI, with our DD, but with our son we tried IUI 6 to 8 times with no success, we then moved onto IVF where we were successful on our first FET. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stormgirl, I'm not sure if you have spoken to your clinic about this yet, but it may depend on whether you are using clinic recruited sperm, or a donor you have found yourself. If it's a donor you have found, then it's pretty much up to you which path you go down.

I'm not sure on the donor sperm status in your state/clinic but in vic it's fairly scarce and at some clinics there are restrictions on who can use it for what (ie, only iui if you meet certain criteria and even then only 2 cycles before you have to move to ivf). They use a lot more sperm for an iui than ivf (and use even less again for icsi) so that's something to bear in mind.

The other deciding factor might be results of any tests a fs orders. A tubal blockage our similar might mean iui is not an option. Likewise if you picked your own sperm donor, their sperm might not be good enough for iui (need a fairly high count, can lose some when freezing/thawing etc). An amh blood test (ovarian reserve) might also lead your fs to recommend one way over another.

I would probably speak to the donor co-ord to find out a bit more about their processes for using a donor as I think it varies from place to place. All the best.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update ... apparently I have to try IUI at least twice before I can move onto IVF to qualify for the medicare rebate (since I am using donor sperm). After two failed IUI's (therefore classed as medically infertile) then I can try IVF and get medicare. So I have no choice which is annoying as I don't hear many success stories with IUI and would rather put the money to IVF to better my chances.
    Getting pregnant should not be this stressful for anyone!
    Where are all the good single men gone in this world??!! ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Stomgirl,

Not sure how you are travelling ATM but hoping you have had some luck. To answer your question regarding IUI, we've just had our first IUI done and just got a positive test this morning. So there is some good news to be had with IUI. I got rather scared reading lots of threads about how unsuccessful it is, but have managed to get lucky on the first go. Would highly recommend it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Karla Allison For This Useful Post:

Grannyblank  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Karla, that is great news!
    I saw another fs for a second opinion and he recommended to go straight to IVF due to my age and low AMH. Apparently having scans done to see if I have tubal blockages etc would cost me heaps.
    Does anyone know the cost invovled with these scans?? I only took out private health cover in July so can't access that for IV until next July. Does it cover costs of scans though (after 2 months) or is that classed as part of IVF??
    Anyway, hearing your success Karla makes me wonder if I should attempt IUI first as I have limited savings. It is so hard to know what to do. Did you have any fertility problems such as low AMH or age barrier??
    Congratulations again and all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Storm Girl. I was really hoping to hear you'd had some luck as well. To answer your questions, I'd say you'd be out a couple of hundred for the tubal blockages scan. My fs discussed with me doing those scans but because we already have a son thought them to be pointless for us. My DH and I have unexplained infertility. I am 33 and DH 38 and have had all the tests in the world done (when trying for our first) and nothing ever came up as being a problem. It took us 15 months to conceive our first and 9 months this time round so our fs recommended trying IUI as he thought the problem might be getting the swimmers up through to the cervix. And by the looks of things he was right. IUI was certainly a good option for us. Total cost (including scans on day 7, 10 and 14, sperm wash and implant) was $870 and out of pocket was $362. So definitely a cheaper alternative to IVF. Hope this gives you a little insight to make your decision a little easier. Best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a successful IUI on my first attempt & now have a 2.5 year old boy.

2nd time around we had to unsuccessful IUI attempts & have now moved on to IVF which failed 1st attempt & now I am just starting my 2nd cycle.

Apparently IUI is a 20% success rate & IVF takes it up to around 50 - 60% depending on each individuals circumstances

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,

Im new on bubhub but have been looking at many threads posted on here for quite some time.

Im starting IUI, in-fact i start my first injection today.

wanted to see what other people's experience has been like.

IUI success rate isn't really set in stone. I have discussed this with several doctors. For many people it is worth trying a couple cycles of IUI as it may be just the thing to conceive as the drugs and intrauterine insamination are all the help you may need and avoid the roller coaster path of ivf and costs associated.

For example I have been told that my chances of conceiving on my first iui cycle is 33% which is more then double of "published" statistic which is 16%.

There are many factors to consider, what fertility issues you are battling, your age, health, health of your partner (if not using donated sperm) etc.

There are certain conditions that make IUI not suitable for you thats where you go straight to IVF or ICSI.

I posted a thread today about IUI but no one has replied thus far. But i am keen to hear success stories.

Baby dust to all!