View Poll Results: Separate cot mattress for porta cot?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 10.53%
  • No

17 89.47%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Just checking, you wouldn't want to spend the money only for them to knock it back.
    He has one at home, so I wanted to check. The sheets like he uses really don't fit right in a porta cot and I feel a wriggly toddler would get tangled easily. I'll check out the Bright Bots ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel terrible I didn't know the reason you're not allowed to add a mattress. We were given a secondhand portacot when dd was a baby and it came with a mattress. Breaks my heart that babies die from getting stuck.

Do you think it's unsafe for a 2.5 year old? Or just a baby cos they can't move around? People have said that babies can sleep on anything hard etc but I think with toddlers my dd doesn't sleep as well on the hard surface.

I found this site online
    http://www.babiesgalore.com.au/view_...bCategoryId%3D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    An older toddler in theory would not fit in the gap that the side can cause, so it *should* be safe.

I have never used a portacot (Ds hated his) but I would never add a mattress to one, if the baby is uncomfortable they won't sleep.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The reason I asked is that my brother asked if I could watch my nephew on some Saturdays next term. His wife will drop to 4 days/week, he will work the other day but they are struggling with each other. He has a maximum 1 hour morning sleep and maximum 1 hour afternoon sleep. At home he has just been put in a portacot with foam mattress (up until 1 he slept in a bassinette then switched from wooden cot to co-sleeping) but he was 1 at the time. They want him to use a foam mattress here too. When dd was a baby it was a big no, but hers was an off-the-ground playpen for when I cleaned the floor and never used for sleeping so had toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine gave us a faux sheepskin rug thing which is designed specifically for porta-cots since they don't have mattresses......

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At his age he will be getting big. How about THIS or something similar, it's what my family day care lady has. My dd used one at her place from about 2yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    At his age he will be getting big. How about THIS or something similar, it's what my family day care lady has. My dd used one at her place from about 2yo.
    I have 2 similar for childcare use, but my nephew will be 14mo and if he is not put in a cot, he thinks it isn't bed time. Like I said, he has a mattress in his at home but since they were a big no when dd was a baby, I wanted to see how things changed. Thought it would be easier than making phone calls about it, didn't expect a blasting over a simple question, although I should expect it by now

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dramatic much? I didn't blast you. Frankly I am surprised that there is so many people that do exactly what you have asked about. There is warnings everywhere including on the porta cots themselves, many using much more emotive language than I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dramatic much? I didn't blast you. Frankly I am surprised that there is so many people that do exactly what you have asked about. There is warnings everywhere including on the porta cots themselves, many using much more emotive language than I have.
    Mine is Steelcraft and shows how to put it up, no mention of not using another mattress in it. I've never done so before, but have been asked to for use by my nephew. He still uses a sleeping bag, but one that keeps his arms free so he doesn't use a blanket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously the manufacturers can't know what kind of bedding a consumer might put in the portacot and should therefore recommended no additional mattress to the one provided. I agree that the people should definitely take on board SIDS recommendations but you have to use a bit of common sense as well. Obviously using an ill fitting mattress or one that is too soft or excess bedding etc can be very dangerous particularly for little babies that don't have the motor skills to be able to get out of a tricky situation. However, in my situation, now that my toddler is big and mobile and is definitely uncomfortable on the hard porta cot mattress (not all babies/kids sleep anywhere/anyhow) I have no problem putting in a firm foam mattress cut exactly to size. I have weighed up and minimised the risk and I am comfortable with that. My DS wears a sleeping bag as I feel that is the safest option for him. We all have brains we should use instead of just blindly following a direction without understanding why is was put in place.
    You have provided some great information that some parents might not be aware of and may well have helped someone avoid a potentially dangerous situation. However, your posts are written in an attacking way, basically saying that anyone who puts anything other than what comes in the box of a porta cot recklessly endangering their child and are therefore a bad parent. You are making a gross generalization and I don't believe this to be true at all. The risk assessment I do when putting my child to bed is very calculated and anything but reckless. This is why people are getting their backs up to your valid and appropriate information that you have provided in this thread. You can give the information but you can't control what people choose to do with it.

I am very passionate about keeping kids rear facing in car seats for as log as possible and I can only give my reasoning to the many friends who turn their bub early (i.e. before they have outgrown the seat in rear facing). If they take on that information and still choose to turn early then that is their choice for their family and it has nothing to do with me from there on.