View Poll Results: Separate cot mattress for porta cot?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 10.53%
  • No

17 89.47%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldnt do it No. I have a portacot fitted sheet that slips over both ends (Bright Bots brand). So thats comfier than the hard mattress. But i wouldnt put any other mattress in the cot.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I didn't think it would be a risk for a toddler for fully supervised day naps, but whatever! There are ways to give information that will not upset people and accuse them of harm when simply asking about it!
    I don't think so, either. I think it's the same as taking SIDS precautions, once they are of a certian age, surely no-one follows them religiously? I don't know many toddlers who sleep with *nothing* in the bed. DS sleeps in a portacot with a mattress every Tuesday at my MIL's. He's old enough to move himself, or call out if he got stuck.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *sigh* I am not accusing you of anything. I was pointing out that as stated on all new portacots these days, adding a mattress is dangerous. If you are checking on your child every 5 minutes, they are not "fully supervised" but are supervised at 5 minute intervals. Suffocation can occur in that amount of time. Heck, children can drown in a bath in 20 seconds if you watch the warnings on TV. As I said, it is your child and your call what you decide to do. As parents we all have to decide what we think is acceptable given what we know. You can get stroppy if you like, but if my information given in this thread saves one bub hubbers child from a risky situation or death, then I am happy, regardless of whatever you choose to do OP. I don't think I have attacked you or your parenting choices in any way, if you see it that way, I apologise, I did not mean offence.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-09-2014),HeavenBlue  (07-09-2014),Kaybaby  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I wouldnt do it No. I have a portacot fitted sheet that slips over both ends (Bright Bots brand). So thats comfier than the hard mattress. But i wouldnt put any other mattress in the cot.
    Thanks, I will keep an eye out for that brand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Seriously???

Do people not read on all portacots not to add any type of mattress or padding to them? Just because a product is sold does not mean it is safe. The way a portacot comes out of a box when you buy it is how it is meant to be used. NO OTHER MATTRESS! If you must, a fitted sheet is all you should use to keep the padded base board clean. Seriously, babies don't need another mattress. It is parental perception that deems a portacot as being "hard". Babies sleep fine on that little bit of padding that portacots are manufactured with.

Save a child's life- your own child. Never add a mattress of any kind to a portacot.
    Judgmental much? Like another PP said, there are ways to share ur opinion without being harsh.

OP, like many women here, come for thoughts and suggestions - no need for harsh judgements on the choices other parents make.

Sorry, but I've had my fill of judgmental women today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    *sigh* I am not accusing you of anything. I was pointing out that as stated on all new portacots these days, adding a mattress is dangerous. If you are checking on your child every 5 minutes, they are not "fully supervised" but are supervised at 5 minute intervals. Suffocation can occur in that amount of time. Heck, children can drown in a bath in 20 seconds if you watch the warnings on TV. As I said, it is your child and your call what you decide to do. As parents we all have to decide what we think is acceptable given what we know. You can get stroppy if you like, but if my information given in this thread saves one bub hubbers child from a risky situation or death, then I am happy, regardless of whatever you choose to do OP. I don't think I have attacked you or your parenting choices in any way, if you see it that way, I apologise, I did not mean offence.
    Yes, fully supervised with actual bending into the cot checking airways every 5 minutes. Fully supervised as in not out of sight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never and would never. And agree 100% with Opinionated's posts.
    If porta cots were meant to be used with mattresses they would recommend that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Opinionated  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAB, if this is for your child care set up wouldn't it be refused by officials for being unsafe?

Sorry just another opinion, what you do with your own child is one thing but once you start child minding you need to follow the rules and recommendations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    SAB, if this is for your child care set up wouldn't it be refused by officials for being unsafe?

Sorry just another opinion, what you do with your own child is one thing but once you start child minding you need to follow the rules and recommendations.
    It is for my nephew but anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It is for my nephew but anyway...
    Just checking, you wouldn't want to spend the money only for them to knock it back.