View Poll Results: Separate cot mattress for porta cot?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 10.53%
  • No

17 89.47%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cot mattress with porta cot?

Did/do you or would you use a cot mattress like in a wooden cot for a porta cot?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sis bought a thinner foam mattress for hers

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used a thick piece of foam that was cut to size and fit really nice and snug in the base of the portacot. I would have hated to sleep on the hard board that was meant to be the base of it, I'd never put my bub to sleep on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we have one that goes inside the portacot. They don't sell the portacots with mattreses for safety reasons. Much softer and nicer with them. The base of the portacots are so hard and horrible! Like a wooden board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, never. Have a look at the SIDS website about safety of portacots. Portacots are not meant to have added mattresses of any type. The risk is that bubs will get stuck between the stretchy cot walls & the edge of the mattress. It's a suffocation risk.

I bought a thick, soft fitted portacot base cover from Baby Bunting. It's basically a fluffy fitted sheet. Nice & safe, but also a bit soft.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    No, never. Have a look at the SIDS website about safety of portacots. Portacots are not meant to have added mattresses of any type. The risk is that bubs will get stuck between the stretchy cot walls & the edge of the mattress. It's a suffocation risk.

I bought a thick, soft fitted portacot base cover from Baby Bunting. It's basically a fluffy fitted sheet. Nice & safe, but also a bit soft.
    I've just made up the porta cot and the fitted sheet doesn't fit very well. The ones I bought are thick and soft, but scrunch up a fair bit too which makes it look unsafe. When dd was a baby, the rules were to not use them, but since she is nearly 9 I wanted to know what others do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    My sis bought a thinner foam mattress for hers
    This mattress my sis got for is only very thin ... And it is actually for porta cots

Thanks
    Reviews
    The place I bought my portacot from sold mattresses made especially for portacots. Only thin foam, and fits the portacot so snugly that there was no way bub could get stuck in the side. I also bought a padded fitted sheet to go on the portacot mattress, so ultimate comfort for baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll check out the baby shops, thanks

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Seriously???

Do people not read on all portacots not to add any type of mattress or padding to them? Just because a product is sold does not mean it is safe. The way a portacot comes out of a box when you buy it is how it is meant to be used. NO OTHER MATTRESS! If you must, a fitted sheet is all you should use to keep the padded base board clean. Seriously, babies don't need another mattress. It is parental perception that deems a portacot as being "hard". Babies sleep fine on that little bit of padding that portacots are manufactured with.

Save a child's life- your own child. Never add a mattress of any kind to a portacot.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (04-06-2012),Hamilicious  (04-06-2012),IndigoJ  (04-06-2012),Kaybaby  (05-06-2012),labellavita  (05-06-2012),mim1  (04-06-2012),RobinSparkles  (04-06-2012),singlemumma82  (04-06-2012),sunshine81  (04-06-2012)