+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Delays in receiving parental leave payments

Is anyone else having problems getting their paid parental leave sorted with Centrelink/Medicare? For some reason, Medicare won't give you a form on the spot so you have to wait until they mail it. I've put in 2 requests in person over the past fortnight through Medicare (Family Assistance) and still haven't received anything.

Apparently there's a back log in processing payments once they're submitted. I'm due in five weeks and want to get everything happening but can't seem to get anywhere?!?

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archiek View Post
    Is anyone else having problems getting their paid parental leave sorted with Centrelink/Medicare? For some reason, Medicare won't give you a form on the spot so you have to wait until they mail it. I've put in 2 requests in person over the past fortnight through Medicare (Family Assistance) and still haven't received anything.

Apparently there's a back log in processing payments once they're submitted. I'm due in five weeks and want to get everything happening but can't seem to get anywhere?!?

Is anyone else having similar issues?
    Hi - is this being processed via your employer. If so you will not receive anything - they will. I did my claim online and I know my employer has received a letter from them asking to confirm acceptance of paying it to me.

I have heard there is a 12 week backlog. I am also due in five weeks so am not expecting anything until Sep/Oct although it will be backdated to the date of the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. I applied online before bub was born, handed the form in that the hospital gave me when he was born on the 17th may. Online services say they will pay my employer on the 13tj June and work said they will pay me next pay cycle after they get the $$.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I work at the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

You can lodge a claim up to 3 months before your due date by using online services. There's a link at the bottom of the page here; http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ntal-leave-pay

A Newborn Child (proof of birth) form will be given to you at the hospital or by the midwife. You will need to lodge this completed form along with any supporting documents before your claim can be finalised. Your Parental Leave Pay cannot start until you have lodged all relevant paperwork, including the proof of birth.

You can call the Families and Parents line on 13 6150 for more info, or to check on a claim.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've read so many horrorbstories about claiming PPL on here that I considered not even worrying about it and just claiming the baby bonus. But I thought to myself the money isn't for me but my girls so I did an online application for PPL, family tax and ccb for the new baby. I did this 4 weeks ago. I checked my online centrelink and it's all sitting there ready to go they've even done the request to have the 15% tax deducted once it starts being paid. All I need to do is register her birth when she comes. BUT I will believe everything is going smoothly when I have my first payment in the bank. Without it we wouldn't survive.

It seems the key is to apply 10-12 weeks before bubs comes and not leave it to the last minute!!! Best of luck