+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Homeschooling - routine advice and support pls :)

So, in just 3 weeks, I will be beginning our homeschooling journey. My DS is in Year 2 and things have not worked out at his current school (looooonng story) and I have a new school for him from next year, but will be homeschooling for the next 6 months! I am so excited, always wanted to do it and now is the perfect time.

I have my DS who is 8 and I also have DD who is 20 months.

I am an Education Student at Deakin Uni (1st year)...and have a pretty good idea on the work i will do with him. I am going to keep it similar to curric as he will be re entering a school next year.

What i need though, is some ideas on how your day flows.

We have afternoon activities most days and I plan to do 1 "outing" day a week (this may end up fortnightly).. museum, zoos, art galleries, plays etc

How long do your kids spend on "set work" each day? How do you juggle younger children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Home Ed is a very individual thing. What works for one family doesn't always work for another. That's one of the great things about home ed - it's so flexible. For us, it works best if we do our bookwork in the mornings and activities like cooking, nature study, outdoor play, sewing, electronics, etc in the afternoon. That said, if the children are not being productive with their bookwork, we just do something else. We have a regular social day once a week, and we have another home ed child come and do their thing at ours once a week as well (parent working that day). When our youngest (who now goes to school) was at home, I just used to set up activities for her to minimise the disruption to the other children and go back and forth between them. Didn't get much else done, but I think that's pretty much par for the course. Hope this helps a little and congrats on your decision to home educate.