+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gaining weight on Metformin

I don't have PCOS, insulin resistance (that I know of) or diabetes. However my doctor prescribed me Metformin to help with weight loss. I was thrilled!

However I've been taking Metformin for a number of weeks now and I seem to be gaining weight. Big ol' WTF?

I do have hypothyroidism and my TSH has been stable for around 18 months. Apart from that my weight gain is unexplained. I have a small appetite and reasonably healthy diet (ie. lots of veggies, little to no junk).

I've read that common side effects of Metformin can be nausea and diarrhea (which is sometimes attributed to higher rates of weight loss), however it seems to be doing the opposite to me (TMI - mild constipation).

What the heck? Has anyone else experienced this while taking Metformin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to take Metformin years ago purely for blood sugar reasons and am about to start again next week...I have to say, I'm a little worried now.

Perhaps the chemistry of your hypothyoidism is contributing somehow with the Metformin and is just an isolated incident?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, I thought metformin and thyroxine would go well together, considering they both impact metabolic energy. However I've just done a quick google to see what the connections are between the two, and I'm sort of confused now!

I read one article that seemed to be saying that hypothyroidism disturbs insulin levels and metformin would be advantageous, and then another article that suggested that metformin could potentially suppress TSH levels and so give inaccurate readings (in terms of monitoring TSH levels).

Colour me discombobulated! I think I need to do way more reading about this.

Interestingly, I saw a reference to leptin resistance which is thought to be associated with overweight people. So there's another avenue to wander down.

Sigh. I wish I had a medical degree! It's so tedious wading through all the technical jargon!

Good luck resuming your meds. I hope you don't have any annoying side effects!

If anyone else out there has any knowledge in this area, feel free to weigh in! (excuse the pun )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you! I'm a little nervous I must say. Good luck with yours!

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Magic- what dose are you on? I remember reading a thread ages ago about people initially gaining weight while on Metformin.

I'm supposed to be on 1500mg a day (3 x 500mg tablets) and I can only manage 2 at most. I find I lose a lot for weight when I take it more than 1-2 tablets a day. Also I'm small and feel like at is a huge dose for me. Maybe your dose is too low ?

Also is your TSH below 2. ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm on metformin for PCOS and I'm certain the weight loss is contributed by the constant diarrhea and lack of appetite! lol
    TMI I know but seriously, blarghhhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bluelips - I'm on 500mg (one pill a day) but I did have a thought it might not be enough, so I've taken 2 per day on occasion (clearly I haven't committed to 2 per day because I wasn't sure). Maybe I should try 3 per day??? I'm just not sure because my doctor didn't really instruct me about how to take it.

I checked my TSH a few weeks ago and it was sitting at 1.4. Why do you ask? (Does TSH levels impact the effectiveness of Metformin?)

Merls - I know this probably sounds really twisted, but I was praying for nausea and diarrhea and hoping to feel like crap for the extra weight loss advantage! I'm desperate! But I have NONE of those side effects!
    PS. Sorry you feel so poopy

WhiteTulip - You're welcome! And thank you too

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicMud For This Useful Post:

Merlsy  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm exactly the same have gained weight even though TMI I've had really bad diarrhoea!!!! I have been eating really well hardly any fats or junk!!
    Mystery....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfordaisy View Post
    I'm exactly the same have gained weight even though TMI I've had really bad diarrhoea!!!! I have been eating really well hardly any fats or junk!!
    Mystery....
    That bites the big one!

How long have you been on Metformin for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm meant to be on 2000 but can only manage 1000. I get 1 minutes notice for the toilet, I hate it. But it has slowed my weight gain. I'm not losing weight but that's probably because I'm eating crap....