+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What hospital should I choose for the birth? (VIC)

Hi ladies,

My GP asked me today what hospital I would like to give birth in. I am with LaTrobe Private Health Insurance (Top Hospital) and after being robbed blind monthly for the cover it is now my turn to get some of my hard earned $$ back so to speak.

Of the hospitals in VIC listed here: https://www.arhg.com.au/contracted.asp can anyone give me some advice on which one is the most friendly and professional and caring to both mum and bub?

Many Thanks Gurt x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What kind of birth do you want? I suggest having a look at the different models of care available and your location and going from there. The medical model led by obstetricians is the model you will have if going private, if you have a high risk preg this may be the better option. On the other hand if you really want a natural birth, midwifery care is prob a better choice- which would be home birth or looking for a hosp near you that offers a know-your-midwife or birth centre option. The choice you make has a big impact on the type of preg and birth you will most likely have.

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through Monash as a public patient and hated it...

This time around I am going through Dr Chee Kuan Chew at Knox Private and have had very very positive experiences so far. She is a lovely female ObGyn and has really listened to me and taken into consideration what I want, despite me being classed as 'high risk'. She is also one of the cheaper Ob's around. 3 of my friends have been cared for by her and can't recommend her enough also.

Having said that, Knox is the only Private hospital I have had maternity care in. Dr Chew also works out of Mitcham Private (oops shut the link so not sure if thats on there) and I have had surgery there before and the hospital was lovely, smaller than Knox but if you are low risk then it won't matter. Also depends on where you live I guess! Congratualtions and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I am leaning toward the medical model, because I am not big on pain. I did used to like the water birth scenario very much but then I think I would feel a bit weird about this at the same time.

What I know I want is a private room with my baby with me at all times. I would like a natural birth and id like to stay away from the c-section if i can avoid it. I dont want them to force me to have one.

Another thing is how do you know if your pregnancy is a high risk one?

Thank you for the advice x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you choose a hospital with a nicu or decent special care nursery. My good friend delivered at the freemasons and even though they have a special care, her baby had breathing problems and was immediately transferred to the royal women's nicu and she had this lovely single room and no baby to share it with. Somewhere like frances perry or the mercy at least has a large public hospital next door.

I'm a nurse and i've seen lots of stuff go wrong (not birth related, but in general) and if people are really sick, they get transferred to the public system. So I would choose a private hospital that is close (or next door or part of) a big public teaching hospital, 'cause that's where you want to be if there are complications.

Ask if there doctors on site all the time (will there be someone who can see you urgently if your obstetrician if held up somewhere else and you need pain relief or intervention?) And check what their special care nursery is like (can they look after sick babies or are they transferred out? If so, where to?)

And what kind of follow up do they offer? I had my ds at the royal womens (mostly because I thought if anything was going to go wrong that was the place to be) and they have bess (breastfeeding education service) which I attended loads after the birth for 1 on 1 sessions with the lactation consultants as I had bf issues (all free). My same friend who was separated from her baby at birth also had bf issues and had no help from the midwives (it's just not something they do there -there's no out patient clinic) and her obstetrician wasn't any help either, and so she weaned at 8 weeks very regretfully as she just couldn't do it and had no professional support.

If you already have an obstetrician in mind then they only work at certain hospitals, so you could always pick the hospital then ask for a list of obs who work there.

Also ask the ob or hospital about their intervention rate, as a general rule, your chance of having a cs or instrumental birth is significantly higher in a private hosp, but check about their individual rates. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Ob is low-intervention, she doesn't like to induce people medically, she will try everything to labour on naturally if you are over your EDD. She is also not cut-happy which is why I really like her

Knox Private was recommended to me as I am 'high risk' but they have a Special Care Nursery on site, an Intensive Care Unit as well as Coronary care (I have a heart condition) it was the only hospital that ticked the boxes that wasn't the RWH or Monash...

I went for an appointment with this Ob as soon as I found out I was pregnant as I wanted to make sure she could take me on with my heart condition, it wasn't a routine appointment but she was wonderful and understanding and always goes through the correct channels to find out information

Things that could class you as 'high risk' include but are not restricted to

Diabetes
    Gestational Diabetes
    High Blood Pressure
    Obesity
    Any other condition that might arise during pregnancy like pre-eclampsia
    multiples
    Any other condition existing prior to pregnancy like a congenital heart defect or condition.

Theres probably millions more, and some conditions WON'T make you high risk, but thats what the Ob is there for - to help determine. If you are otherwise healthy as a horse, you should be fine

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gurtling have you seen the mybirth website? It might help you make a few choices and it explains a few different options regarding care providers and pain relief and interventions

http://www.mybirth.com.au/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just had my bub at Jessie McPherson private & they were fantastic!!! My bub had some issues due to my type 1 diabetes and is in their special care nursery & I can't speak highly enough of the care she is getting. The other bonus is that it shares facilities with Monash Medical Centre so if you or bubs need any extra level of care you don't need to be transferred & medical staff are always on call. Their website is great & lists their OBs as well.