Poll: Have rising child care costs put extra pressure on your family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Rising costs haven't really affected us.
    It was already going to be too expensive for us to have even 1 or 2 children in care so we decided instead to have 2 more children to complete our family and i would stay home. We planned them as close together as possible to lessen the time that I would need to be home full time and so will have 4 children 5 and under once baby #4 arrives in September.

I work as a child care worker and my wage wouldn't have been worth returning to work for once we had to use Childcare.

We planned for me to study so that my return to work would be possible once all the children were at school/kinder so Childcare would not be an issue for us in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    Approved care

You can claim only up to 24 hours of care per child per week, unless you and your partner meet the 'work, training, study test' for Child Care Benefit. If you meet the test, or are exempt from it, you can get up to 50 hours of care per child per week.
    The current rate for a non school-aged child in up to 50 hours of care per week is $3.78 per hour, or $189 per week.
    Payment rates for school-aged children are 85 per cent of the non-school-aged rate.

it may differ from state to state im not to sure on that however i thought it was a national thing but FDC is classed as approved care so CCB rates remain the same for LDC and FDC and pre school

They have the same 'hourly rate' but FDC also has a 'multiplier' that increases the actual rate you get back.
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildho...AndIncome.aspx

Centre-based long day care (2) outside school hours care and occasional care: $3.78 per hour – for one child in care (1)

Family day care and in home care - Rate for standard hours:$5.04 ($3.78 x 1.3333) x per hour – for one child in care (1) (up to a maximum of $189.00 per week) (3)

So that means for 1 hr of care you would get more CCB back at FDC than a LDC center, not to mention it is usually cheaper anyway as you are not paying for a full 11hr day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in WA and child care for my daughter is crippling! At $95/day and a wait list of a minimum 4 months for centres (a friend just applied to our centre and was told she won't get in until her daughter is at least 2 - MARCH 2013!!!) with no FDC available either! We managed to get in on a day we don't really need care as it means she jumps the wait list for the other days! It's prohibitive yet there is no other option for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine HAS gone up .80c a week for two days (one child FDC) but I have only been working P/T for $100 a week and we get 81% CCB. I am studying too so get quarterly CCR except the rate I get back is no longer 50%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the costs went up slightly - but now there are more staff to attend to my kids, so i am happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far we are managing with one, but once number 2 is older and I go back to work I guess we will see. Its definately a prohibitive factor in having 3 kids.