Poll: Have rising child care costs put extra pressure on your family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nelle7250 View Post
    I think the act cost is reasonable I know some families that pay $120 per day per child.

I'm in tassie and my daycare centre is run by city mission a Christian charity and until the end of the month when fees change I pay $61 per day which is great. Includes all meals etc. I anticipated the fee to go upto $65 for a ten hour day or close to it. In 3 years my fees have gone up $12 in total from when we started. We also use fdc and my carer charges $5.50hr I anticipate her fee will become $6hr in July.

Other centers in my local area charge as much as $23-30 more per day for care. My out of pocket expenses after ccb are currently $15 day if I used a different centre it would be as much as $45 which would destroy my budget and make my very low paying job a waste of time
    I want your fdc!!! I use 2 different fd carers (due to limited spaces). 1 charges $8.10 an hour and includes nothing not even sheets but is increasing her rate to $10/hr in July which is a HUGE increase. The other carer is $8.45/hr but provides food and sheets/blankets/bibs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was grumbling about childcare increases for my son but I don't have a leg to stand on as a childcarer wishing the industry also paid more!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    I want your fdc!!! I use 2 different fd carers (due to limited spaces). 1 charges $8.10 an hour and includes nothing not even sheets but is increasing her rate to $10/hr in July which is a HUGE increase. The other carer is $8.45/hr but provides food and sheets/blankets/bibs.
    If your carer puts her prices up too much centrelink will have something to say. Once everyone puts their rates up each year they look at each area and average out the cost. If a carer increases their prices too much then centrelink will step in andvtell them to lower them. I've heard of this happening a few times in recent years. The aim is to make care as affordable as possible.

Have baby brain so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say lol

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The problem is that while centres are increasing costs, the CCB rate has not increased at all... it should, in line with inflation...

it's not just the parent who are suffering, at the centre where my boys go (now 2 days rather than 3... as we just could not afford it) they have not one child who attends 5 days. And the numbers are so low that they are seriously worried about having to let staff go... some of the staff have been there for over 10 years!

It's awful... we're desperately trying to raise enrolments, but it's so hard when childcare costs are so high...

It's also hard as I do relief teaching... so I can only teach on the days my boys are in care, but if I don't get work, I can't afford the care... catch 22....

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My childcare costs me a third of my income, and that's only 3 days a week, and after CCB and CCR. Since the May budget abolished JET for single parents who are doing a PhD it's going to be very difficult for those of us who are on low incomes and trying to further our careers to manage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we are under financial pressure due to childcare costs. But I'm also extremely happy with the centre my girls attend 3 days a week! Unfortunately since DD1 started at this centre 3.5 years ago the cost has risen by over $30 a day, up to $105.

We would hardly be able to afford rent, bills and food if I wasn't working. We don't have a mortgage, that's just going to have to wait till they're at school as we have no extra money. That's life!
    Last edited by LibranTwin; 22-06-2012 at 23:01.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our CC is about $60 a full day, and I get most of that back (I think we end up paying $12 a day, and that includes nappies and food while shes there)
    Luckily we dont rely on CC for me to work, I think if we were doing even 2-3 days a week it would become too expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Thermolicious;6606929]No amount of fee relief is going to solve the demand for child care positions, 180 teachers leaving every week!! What does that tell everyone? Child care teachers need a decent wage

I agree!! Though I do find childcare costs too expensive!! Especially considering what the carers wage is!!
    Last edited by kristybabe; 23-06-2012 at 00:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have one child so child care costs are affordable but I unless you earn a mid to high income I do not see how people with more than one child can afford day care for more than a day or two a week.

I do not think the fees are too high given that a child could be in care for 12 hours a day but I do think that there needs to be more govt assistance given directly to the centres so that they can pay staff more and encourage new centres to open.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=kristybabe;6649245]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    No amount of fee relief is going to solve the demand for child care positions, 180 teachers leaving every week!! What does that tell everyone? Child care teachers need a decent wage

I agree!! Though I do find childcare costs too expensive!! Especially considering what the carers wage is!!
    But it is expensive to run Centers. When ratios in under two were lowered to 1:4 from 1:5, many centres under 2s positions were cut and a dramatic increase of fees for that room happened. The centre I work and and my dd attends went up $10 a day. Our babies room only breaks even just paying wages alone

The thing is people are pushing the industry for lower ratios and high qualified staff (which is great) but that all contributes to higher costs of running Centres. Than there is the maintaining resources and equipment costs

I'd love cheaper fees. I'm freaking out the cost of fees when I return to work in January with dd2 who will attend the same days as I work so I can maintain bf and she will be 6months so in the under twos room. But I would also like my wage to reflect my work load and responsibility for educating and caring for under 5s