Poll: Have rising child care costs put extra pressure on your family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, daycare costs definitely have an impact. I will be putting my son into daycare very soon because my husband is going back to work, but if we were to have a second child we couldn't afford to put them both into daycare. We'd only be able to afford one. With no care available for another child, we'd have to have one parent stay home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    How do you figure this ? the CCB rate for FDC and centres is the same you dont get a different rate for each the thing is FDC is charged by the hour where as centres are charged based on a flat day fee whether your child is there 5 hours or 10 hours its still the same price

I'm a former family day carer and this is how I know this to be true. I'm not tech savvy enough to give you the direct link but if you go to the centrelink websit and search ccb you will find a doc on family assistance office guide to payments. If you search through and look for ccb about 3/4 of the way and look at table 10 and the notes underneath you will see it states that ccb for one non school aged child is $3.78 (this is if you qualify for 100% ccb). In one of the notes it goes onto say that a higher standard hourly rate applies to children attending FDC and in-home care etc

Hope this helps - I knew nothing about this until I became a carer it's a little known fact I think!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The article says ACT is most expensive, at $80 per day...our centre in Melbourne costs $98 a day. Is that not the norm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    The article says ACT is most expensive, at $80 per day...our centre in Melbourne costs $98 a day. Is that not the norm?
    I think the act cost is reasonable I know some families that pay $120 per day per child.

I'm in tassie and my daycare centre is run by city mission a Christian charity and until the end of the month when fees change I pay $61 per day which is great. Includes all meals etc. I anticipated the fee to go upto $65 for a ten hour day or close to it. In 3 years my fees have gone up $12 in total from when we started. We also use fdc and my carer charges $5.50hr I anticipate her fee will become $6hr in July.

Other centers in my local area charge as much as $23-30 more per day for care. My out of pocket expenses after ccb are currently $15 day if I used a different centre it would be as much as $45 which would destroy my budget and make my very low paying job a waste of time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I won't be going back to work as the higher cost is making it only worth $100 or so a week in my pocket and I can't justify missing out on my child for $100.
    This exactly.
    Can't justify it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nelle7250 View Post
    I'm a former family day carer and this is how I know this to be true. I'm not tech savvy enough to give you the direct link but if you go to the centrelink websit and search ccb you will find a doc on family assistance office guide to payments. If you search through and look for ccb about 3/4 of the way and look at table 10 and the notes underneath you will see it states that ccb for one non school aged child is $3.78 (this is if you qualify for 100% ccb). In one of the notes it goes onto say that a higher standard hourly rate applies to children attending FDC and in-home care etc

Hope this helps - I knew nothing about this until I became a carer it's a little known fact I think!!

well that is no longer true as it is the same rate for both at this present time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nelle7250 View Post

Approved care

You can claim only up to 24 hours of care per child per week, unless you and your partner meet the 'work, training, study test' for Child Care Benefit. If you meet the test, or are exempt from it, you can get up to 50 hours of care per child per week.
    The current rate for a non school-aged child in up to 50 hours of care per week is $3.78 per hour, or $189 per week.
    Payment rates for school-aged children are 85 per cent of the non-school-aged rate.

it may differ from state to state im not to sure on that however i thought it was a national thing but FDC is classed as approved care so CCB rates remain the same for LDC and FDC and pre school

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will figure out how to put up a link. It doesn't vary state to state but I know I'm correct cause my accounts reflect it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really surprised by the figures you guys are mentioning! I own an online babysitting search service. It would certainly be cheaper than having two or more kids in a creche. On average the nannies on our site charge about $22 an hour. For an 8 hour day, that will cost you $176 - compared to $220 for 2 kids in a creche!
    Last edited by BH-bubhub; 22-06-2012 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No... If I want someone else to care for my kids whole I work or otherwise I expect to pay for it. 1 children in day care 2 days per week.

***Sent from my phone***