Poll: Have rising child care costs put extra pressure on your family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it will put extra strain on our budget, and when we have 2 in care it will be that little bit harder again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakorsha For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tried to use fdc but ended up costing more than sending them to the asc facility at the school (one service for the six local primary schools).

I have written back to that article as i cannot believe the narrow mindness of those that think that we all have a choice as to wether or not we can stay at home, i wish i had a choice, i dont and never have.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ashleerose For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (04-06-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleerose View Post
    Tried to use fdc but ended up costing more than sending them to the asc facility at the school (one service for the six local primary schools).

I have written back to that article as i cannot believe the narrow mindness of those that think that we all have a choice as to wether or not we can stay at home, i wish i had a choice, i dont and never have.
    we dont have a choice either - we dont live in a spiffy inner city suburb .. but even OUR mortgage is two thirds of my husband's wage. I have no idea how we could live on the 1/3 that is left - not with electricity/ water/ rates/ car insurance/ car rego/ home insurance/ food/ school costs/ etc etc etc - we HAVE to have two incomes its not by CHOICE that we both work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am doing my certificate 3 in children's services. I have had to pay up to $800 to do the course with the bonus of taking my child with me on the day. I attend oen day a week but even now I can't attend as my child is always sick. I put him into daycare one day a week and he has spent more time at home that at care and this costs us every time. Not to mention the cost of medication for my boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think recent rises in child care costs have put pressure on my family. The centre I use has only raised their rates slightly, so still quite reasonable, especially when compared to the article. I have one toddler in childcare full time. I would love it to be part time, but it is not financially viable for me to work part time right now.

Unfortunately I do not have access to non-working grandparents to look after my child to reduce the amount of time he needs to be in childcare.

I can see why people opt to care for their own children, at least part time, once they have more than 1 child. The amounts earnt in some jobs over and above the amount going out in child care fees (even after rebates & benefits) just isn't worth it.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes raising costs have. So much I had to take my 2 out of their 2nd daycare day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nelle7250 View Post
    The govt pays more towards the cost of fdc than s traditional childcare centre.
    How do you figure this ? the CCB rate for FDC and centres is the same you dont get a different rate for each the thing is FDC is charged by the hour where as centres are charged based on a flat day fee whether your child is there 5 hours or 10 hours its still the same price

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. Our centre has decided to raise the cost of childcare a day by 5% which brings it to $93.50 a day so yes I would definately say it's putting pressure on us. It's ridiculous. They need to start capping childcare fees!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the rising cost of day care is putting pressure on our family.

I have been blessed with two wonderful children.

As we are so use to two incomes and I earn more than my hubby it makes sense of me return to work.

I have been blessed with two wonderful children and wanted to return to work. Our child care centre's fees have just increased to $110.00 per day. If both our children were in day care full time that would equate to $57,000.00 before any rebates. As we dont qualify for any benefits the maximum we recieve from the Govt is $15,000.00 which would bring the cost down to $42,000.00. How is that affordable!!!!!

At that cost hubby and I have both requested flexible working hours. As a result we both work extended hours and weekends.

I am yet to find a child care centre that charges $70.00 per day!!! When I initially looked into the cost (that is two years ago) the cheapest I could find around my area was $80.00 per day.

I am so appreciative that we have child care and I am so grateful my children are well looked whilst we are at work and YES they need to be paid more BUT I think the Goverment should provide better subsidies direct to Child Care providers to make the cost more affordable for working families. I dont see why they cant have a similar funding/budgets/costs to public schools.

The Child Care rebate has actually decreased slightly over the past few years even with the increase in child care costs which I find outrageous.Shouldnt the Govt invest more into our children and childcare providers as this which would assist parents back into the workforce, if they so chose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes it has. I returned to work last year and had to leave only 3 months later. My entire pay was going on daycare fees- I had $10 left. It just wasn't worth it. I'm not lucky/fortunate enough to have friends or family who can look after the kids as an alternative. Even going back part time just wasn't financially viable. Now I see they are putting fees up again, although we haven't been told by how much yet.

It's amazing. Only a little over a year ago, I was sending my oldest to daycare full time plus my youngest 1-3 days a week and was paying $290 a fortnight- and even that got me into a lot of credit! But now I pay about the same for only my oldest to go 2 days a week.