+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you get more than 4 Zofran tables per script?

The wife is 8 weeks pregnant and suffering from HG – could not even keep water down. Tried Maxalon and it didn't help.Went to hospital, put on a drip for half a day and given Zofran. Instance releaf. She was sent home with a script for 10*4mg Zofran, taken 3 times a day.Ran out of Zofran last night, HG returned so went to GP. The GP said he could only prescribe a maximum of 4 tablets at a time, or 1.3 days worth!If we need more, we need to go back to the GP for another script. In other words, we need to see a GP every 1.3 days to manage her condition.Zofran on a private script is expensive ($30 for 4 tables), we don't mind paying it for the releaf, but having to see the doctor once a day is ridiculous.Our doctor bulk-bills, but at the $30/visit, if the HG lasts until 38 weeks, it's going to cost medicare $6,300 for these scripts to be written.What do other people do to get around this?

We are a public patient going through Casey hospital for the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if they prescribe more than a pack of four.

Fortunately I was not that sick (did have HG and ended up in hosp etc) and only had to take 4mg in the morning and i was fine for the day unless i was having a late night and then i would take another. I was on them from 11weeks until I gave birth. I was initially on the wafers but got my GP to prescribe me the 8mg tablets and just cut them in half to last me longer as I was sick of going to the chemist every 4 days (and not every chemist has them).

He also gave me 5 repeats so I didnt have to go back as often.

Has she tried just one in the morning and then just seeing how she goes throughout the day? Hopefully it passes when she gets through the first trimester.

I hope you can sort something out for your wife.. I know how she feels and I hope it passes for her soon. Good luck!!
    Last edited by JNC_B2012; 04-06-2012 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dr prescribed me about 5 or 6 repeats without any problem.

the other thing the dr mentioned is that you can order it from overseas cheaper. If your wife has to take it long term, that might be worth looking into.

the cheapest I could find it from a chemist was about $33 for 4 x 8mg wafers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My GP also gave me several repeats. I could also phone her and she would write me a new prescription and leave it at the desk for me. Is it possible for you to do that? Surely if you mention to your GP that visiting every day isn't possible, they will understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe that gps have to apply to govt for permission to prescribe this drug with multiple repeats but it is entirely possible as stated by PP. Perhaps a different gp??? Maybe once your wife starts seeing her OBGYN they will be more help.
    My sil suffered all the way through he pregnancy it horrible so both have my sympathy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The GP needs to ring through the special prescription line (no idea what it's called) and they can issue more scripts from what I understand. I have this done for some of my medications (not pregnancy related) but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think only a Obst can get a auth script. I had HG with my last pregnancy (this time no so bad so far) and I was sick until I gave birth.

My obst at hopsital (I am a public patient) got me a auth scrip and I got 30 tablets for $30 with a few repeats. Didn't stop the vomiting, but reduced it from up to 40 times a day to only a few.

But my HG was affecting my DD badly, her growth had slowed and her umbicial flow was going backwards and I was dehydrated so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also, if you get him to prescribe the 8mg tablets you can cut them in half. That will make them go further. to your wife. I had HG with my second child, before it stopped (at 26wks thankfully) even the Zofran had stopped working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor prescribed a packet of 10! I hope ur wife feels better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    really? my gp was prescribing me packs of a lot more than 4 (closer to 20 i think but can't recall exact number) and in also had 5-6repeats on each script.

perhaps consult a different gp?