+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding, wind and spit ups

OoOk I have a 10 day old DD who has trouble bringing up wind.

My DS who is now 15mo had trouble too but I can't remember if I did anything or it just became easier for him.

When I was in hospital, dD was crying after a feed, had a hard belly and was kicking and I was rubbing and gently patting her back and a nurse commented on DDs crying I said 'it's wind I think' and she looked at me like I was nuts and said 'breastfeeding babies don't really get wind'

Now I'm not an overly confident mother so this has thrown me off.
    My DD has been fussy and I'm trying to burp her but it's not working, I have tried up on my shoulder and in my lap but it only seems to work sometimes Other times I can be doing this for 10 - 15 minutes but nothing happens?

What else can I do or is this more of a phase we need to get through.

Also, she spits up sometimes, which I thought might be because of wind pockets but I have been told it can be because she's had too much milk?
    A
    ny advice would be great.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Instead of lifting up bubs legs when changing their bum try rolling them side-side, when you left them you put pressure on the nerves that lead to the gut and it can cause wind/colic. We they start crawling you can do it the normal way as their spin changes shape around then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9IDp...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 04-06-2012 at 10:51.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm my midwife told me that also my mum jumped in quick smart when she realised i wasnt burping after feeds.

I found with DS i would start my laying him on my knees and pat then lift him up on my shoulder afterwards and it was like the going from laying horizontally to vertically helped the bubble up. One friend suggested bouncing on an exercise ball while he's over your shoulder too.

I was also told to make sure you get a really good burp out of her after every feed. If a wind pocket stays in there then more milk is added at the next feed it just pushes the wind lower causing more pain for bubs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    One of our children had trouble bringing up wind so we took her to the chiro, turned out her spine was out a bit from the birth. She came right after that, amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same issue also and was told the same thing about feeding too much... Now I'm not too sure. 😨

DS1 never had any issues so now I feel like an incompetent mother. HELP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try feeding for 5 min. Then burping. Then feed/ burp. This way it's easier to get the burps out. Bub usually outgrows it. Also with second and subsequent bf babies the milk flow is faster and can cause bubbles in their gut. I'm experiencing this with my dd2 and the middie at the hospy explained it to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can also try feeding in a reclined position with bubs across your lap on about a 45 degree angle with their tummy on your tummy. This seems to slow milk flow a little and the more upright position of the baby helps digestion. Have a look on aba website and search on suzanne colson (it's called baby led attachment but the final position mum and bubs end up in is more important than how they get on in your situation for wind)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was always sick after he a feed - he was a happy chucker so I never really worried about it. Keeping him upright after a feed did help a little.

Have you tried squeezing their legs up to get out wind out? This helped us when the wind was lower down...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2X8...eature=related

There was another thread the other day about newborn wind, a few people suggested Infants Friend, Infacol or there is a Brauer product too. Your pharmacy should be able to advise which are appropriate for your aged bubs.