+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to transition bub from wrap to arms out? How did you do it?

Our LO is 5 months old. He has pretty much been in a wrap me up all his life. Since about 2 weeks ago he has been getting a bit upset everytime i go to wrap him and put him in bed. At one point he screamed so much and got himself in a tiff he vomitted all over me ( poor munchkin ).

Everytime i wrap him now he will get his left arm out no matter how many times i re-wrap him, even when i think i have wrapped him awesomely good this time he still gets his arm out!! ( we think he is going to be left handed as he favours this one, and it is SUPER strong. Plus DP is left handed so i think its herritry?)

We have tried leaving both arms out - He wakes himself up.
    We have tried leaving one arm out - He also wakes himself up by pulling him dummy out and playing with the bars on the cot.

He just seems way to strong for the wrap as he gets his arms out no matter what, and he obviously does not want to be wrapped anymore as he sometimes will get upset when i step foot in his room! Lately i have been trying to spend most of his awake times in his rooms playing with the wrap and being in his room so when it is time to go to sleep i am hoping it wont make him upset when he see's the wraps.. The only way he seems to sleep is when he is wrapped. Ps he is not sleeping through yet, he will wake once maybe twice for a bottle and straight back to sleep.

We are not sure what we should do to make this transition easy for us and Bub?

Has this happened to anyone before? If yes, what did you do and how did you do it?

Does anyone have any advice? Anything, we are desperate.

Thankyou in advance. x x o o

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    apparantly these are great - many of the mums in my group used them and swear by them. They go up to 11kgs.

http://www.lovetodream.com.au/babySwaddle_swaddle.htm

I swapped over to gro bags at 3 months and found after a little bit (a couple of days they were fine with it). I know some babies just loooove to be wrapped though and really love the security of it.

Good luck with it xo
    Last edited by Ulysses; 03-06-2012 at 16:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was rapped it'll around 8mths old, it wasn't without trying to get him out of the wraps and as a new mum I really was unsure of how to wean him the right way. I found ergo cocoon wraps at a baby show and didn't look back, he still had both arms in for a while but soon got used to one arm out them both
    There are similar products on the market too now that are also great, he didn't like the ones the pp has put the link too but I know others that swear by them, it might be trial and error type situation.
    Our next bubs will be weaned earlier with the ergo

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just done this transition a couple of weeks ago with our LO. She is 4 months next week. She was getting too big for her swaddle blankies and during the night would pull her arms out anyway (while asleep). First time we put her in a sleeping bag that someone gave to us. It has the long sleeves. It was a 3 hour fight of her dozing off then waking up screaming flailing her arms about. So we waited a week and tried again. This time we had a lot of play time before bed to wear her out. She fell asleep in my arms (like usual) but as soon as she was in the cot she woke. Had a 10 minute whinge after i left then asleep! It took a week for her to stop waking herself up with her arms. Now we dont have much trouble. She has also learnt to put herself back to sleep quietly after an early morning feed which is great! But i found playing before bed was the key to getting her tired enough to give up & go to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went cold turkey at about 3 months. Took about 2 weeks before we got back to same sleeping pattern

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went cold turkey straight into a gro bag. The week before I made sure our go to sleep routine was was established and consistent (waving goodbye to things on way to room, going into room & shutting blinds, cuddle and into bed). It took a few days to get used to it but then he was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my ds I stopped wrapping at 3.5 months cause I thought you had to. He stopped sleeping. A few weeks later I went back to wrapping and he went back to sleeping! I kept wrapping him (arms in by his sides - had to use a flat cot sheet as he got bigger so that he couldn't escape - smaller wraps are easier to escape) until around 9 or 10 months. Then I transitioned him to loose-ish wrapping so that when he was put in the cot (asleep) he was firmly wrapped, but if he tried to move he could escape the wrap quite easily. Worked well and he liked a blanket/sheet tucked around him snugly for some time afterwards. In fact at 5.5 years he still likes his doona tucked tightly around him ('like a kebab') .

My dd has been in a Woombie since birth (she's now 8 months old). I tried weaning her from the Woombie a few times since around 5 months with no success. She's been in the convertible Woombie so that her arms can come out arm holes, or the arm holes can be closed over. Each time I tried weaning her from her woombie it didn't work. She would play with her dummy, etc. Finally, a few days ago I decided it was way past time for her to be in a sleeping bag so I made the move. I put her in the Woombie with both arms out and wrapped her in a stretchy cotton wrap and rocked her to sleep. She can easily get out of the wrap if she tries in her cot (she's very active), but she's slept very well in the last 2 days. It was as if she was still in her Woombie (with arms in), so I think it was time to do the transition.

If it's not working I say go back to wrapping and try again in a month. Ignore his protests - he was probably protesting going to sleep rather than being wrapped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought a halo sleepsack swaddle for DD (11wks) which is a sleeping bag with a swaddle attachment. Started with one arm out then both. For the past 4 nights we've had both arms free but she remains swaddled around the mid section

We had tried cold turkey as she started fighting the miracle wrap swaddle (plus she was getting too long and legs couldn't be straightened) but once her arms were free she kept startling so I had to find something

With the halo, we don't need to unwrap her during the night for feeds (unzips from bottom) and once she is all ok, will just remove the swaddle attachment and she is left with just a sleeping bag

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all so much! I am going to get a woombie! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I the same position with our 4.5 months old. He is also VERY strong. If I isn't swaddle him he wouldn't sleep during the day. However, after the first night feed, I've been putting him down just in his grow bag with arms out (instead of swaddled). Most of the time he goes until the next feed without waking up because he's so tired. Plus, he really enjoys being able to play with his hands first thing in the morning, which actually buys me an extra half hour in bed!

You said your little man goes straight back to sleep after night feeds...would you be able to try this and build up gradually? That's what I'm hoping to do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lissy12 For This Useful Post:

Brandnewbeginnings  (08-06-2012)