+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Freaking out!

A member of DH family has died, overseas.
    In a week we embark on a mamoth trip to Europe for the funeral...
    We have a 6 hour drive to the nearest international airport, luckily we spend a couple of days there before we fly out to finalise DSs Australian passport.
    Then we catch 3 planes and a ship to get to our destination.... Sydney - China, China - Holland, Holland - Finland, then a boat to Estonia... (note to self: next time marry within the southern hemisphere...) then we do it all in reverse 12 days later...

With a VERY active 22 month old DS... HELP! I need all the advice you have...

We have bought an umbrella stroller for the airports (will also be taking a harness and ergo carrier). We are now tossing up between taking that or his car seat for the plane... DH feels taking both will be too much for us to lug around, particularly in Finland where we will have to get from the airport to the ferry terminal and onto a ferry with all our luggage.
    What are your thoughts/experiences here?

Also I am going to buy DS a sippy cup (he uses a normal cup at home) any suggestions on which is the most leak proof?

ANY advice will be super welcome
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumping back to the front page

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    are the plane trips extra long ? (never flown before sorry)

do you thing your DS will be more likely to sleep on you in the ergo or in his seat?? and chance you can fit the car seat in the umbrella stroller or is it one of the 30 dollar ones?

I personally would just go the ergo but like i said i haven't ever flown long flights, i flew to Adelaide when my Ds was 28ish months just over 2, and he had his own seat but sat with me or DH more then his own seat.

Tommie tippie would be my recommendation. i find the license ones (barbie cars etc) leak a lot more.

oh and. im sorry to hear about the family member passing. best of luck with the travels

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sipper cup - anything by tommee tippee I find is great.

Just with the car seat thing - are you sure you're allowed to take the car seat on the plane? I'm assuming you mean you want to take it for him to sit in for the flight itself rather than just checking it in as luggage?

I think you might just have to take the stroller as well as the harness and ergo. Really, it's not going to be much more to carry and I think the car seat would be a must have (unless you're going to hire one with a hire car?)

You can get trolleys at the airport to load all your luggage on to so that one of you can push the trolley and the other push/carry DS can't you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cant see the exact flight lengths on the itinerary because of the timezones but our last trip -pre baby- was 8 hours - 12 hours - 4 hours and 4 hours on the boat although the boat should be quicker this time as it is summer.

We will definately take the ergo and the harness as they will take up very little room.

he is 12kg and we have booked him his own seat so the car seat would go on his seat for him to sit in, which would mean we have to carry it around at layovers.

not sue what will be of more benifit though - the carseat to keep him strapped in in the plane or the stroller to burn around the airport... it is a cheap stroller the car seat will not fit in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    We flew with 20 month old DD to Perth for Christmas. Granted not as much travel but still 5 hours on a plane and then 8 hours drive to destination.

We took a $30 Big W umbrella stroller and that was it. We wanted as little to carry as possible as three suitcases, stroller and DD was more than enough. We hired a car with a car seat in WA. We flew QANTAS and found their infant straps were more than fine for taking off and landing and during flight DD slept on the seat between DH and I.

As for flying with an active toddler? QANTAS puts people flying with kids in a bit of a clump together, which made us more comfortable as DD had other kids to talk to, plus when she got restless and made a bit of noise we didn't feel like everyone was staring at us wishing we'd shut our kid up!! Downside was another child cried a bit and woke DD up... but oh well, not too much to complain about

Biggest help we found - we did not want to drug DD for the sake of keeping her quiet, but didn't want her to be in pain on take off or landing. I spoke to our chemist and he recommended baby Demezin (sp?). It works on the passages between ears/nose/throat and helps with pain. Also makes them a little drowsy if they need to sleep. Plus a dummy, drink and food while taking off and landing helps too.

I hope it goes well for you. Sorry for your loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and yeh we have a carseat arranged at destination

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will your DS watch any tv? I know when we flew to singapore at 2 and US/canada at 3 he loved watching tv. We never took a seat, he just used to stretch out on his seat resting on us or propped up with pillows. This looks cool, they are only new out and it would keep the pillow and blanket together and be familiar http://www.haggusandstookles.com.au/...Blankets/4401/. I wouldn't bother with a trunki for your DS to get around at the airport. DS fell off it when he was 2. They do need to be able to balance and steer.

What type is your carseat? How wide is it? They need to be a certain width to fit in the seat, can't be rearfacing and you need to sit in a certain area to be able to use the anchor points. I am not sure if any 'non-australian' airlines will have anchor points as we are the only country that uses it. Check with your airline that you can use the seat otherwise you may be stuck with a seat onboard that can't be used. CASA regulations state that a seat must be used in accordance with manufacturer's instructions ie using the top tether at all times. You can get bags to put your seat in it, some have carry straps and or wheels. I would find it restrictive though and it would take up so much room. Your DS would be limited to sitting in there. being that he is under two you do also have the option of him sitting on your lap for take-off and landing. Actually I don't know if they would make you do that anyway if you didn't have a seat. I would call your airline(s) and chat to them.

Good luck, it will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We fly to the UK each year. My DS is 27 months and we flew straights through Sydney-sing-London-Edinburgh. We also travel regularly interstate. We have found that our portable DVD player is fantastic! DS only watches short episode shows (no movies) so it was great. We also got a cares harness which is is basically a four point harness once one the original plane belt. Giving him new toys also helped. He loves opening presents and then played with the new toys for ages. I wouldn't take a car seat, they are bulky to carry and my DS loved the novelty of sitting on a big seat! He prob slept 8.5 hrs in total but in a whole the trip was a lot better than expected!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jackinabox; 03-06-2012 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advice on the Cares Harness, they look great. We found a lady who rents hers out on Ebay so are looking into that now