+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Day 1 transfers??

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had, or even heard of anyone having, a day 1 transfer? I had one yesterday and haven't been able to find any information on them at all, as they are such a rare/unknown practice. All I could really find was this study comparing pg success rates between zygote transfers and day 3 emby transfers: http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con...3/645.abstract

What happened with us (as suggested by my sig) is that we got six eggs on Friday, but only one fertilised overnight due to a terrible quality sample of my DH's frozen sperm. So they told me to come in yesterday morning to have the fertilised egg/zygote/"day 1 emby" put back in. Their philosophy was "better in me than in the lab", which I can understand.. but zygotes are meant to be in the fallopian tube, not the uterus. So I'm concerned that it wasn't really a great decision on their part, and that maybe they should have waited to see if it made it to day 3. If it didn't, it would have meant a cancelled cycle, but at least I could have moved on and I wouldn't be being lead on by what is more than likely false hope for the next two weeks.

I'm not expecting anyone to have had personal experience with day 1 transfers, but I thought I'd try anyway, just so I hopefully don't have to feel so abnormal...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariele, Sorry not going to be much help other than, & guess you probably know, that I think the reason they hold off to day 3 or 5 is to get the best embryo to transfer. The fact that you had one, they might as well transfer straight away in to the yummy comfort of your womb. I had my first egg retrieval the same day as you, which was also my little boys birthday, so I'm trying to think of that as some good sign. I've been trying for about 4 years. Hopefully transfer on Wednesday. Would like to keep in touch if you are interested. Goodluck and lots of baby dust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi myboyz, thanks for your response. Good luck with your embies and transfer.. how many did you get fertilised? I know I'm still in with maybe a 1 in 10 chance of a BFP this cycle, which is better than nothing I suppose, so I guess I just have to hold out and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning Sariele, I had 6 fertilised & waiting to hear this morning how they're going. Then transfer on Wednesday. My fingers are crossed for both of us. Have you got any kids? I know how blessed I am to already have a beautiful boy but I badly want to give him a sibling, he asked all the time for a baby Baby dust to you. I hope to hear from you soon x

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My friend had a day 1 transfer because of much the same reason - only 2 fertilised and one failed almost straight after so they put the other one in and she's 5 weeks pregnant now. Still early days, but it can happen. Hope it does for you xx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it matters where it should or would have been. It's in your uterus it will just hang around in there until hatching and implantation. I definitely agree better in you than in a dish, sending you loads of sticky vibes!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    myboyz - no, we don't have any kids. We only just got married in April. But DH knew of his infertility since he was with his ex-wife, so I've known about it for pretty much the whole two years we've been together. I was kind of clueless about how bad it was though, even though he did warn me.. Now what has happened this cycle has made me realise we might truly need a donor.

rainbow - thank you, that's an incredible story and fills me with hope. I've heard one or two others where it's worked, so obviously I do have a chance, no matter how small.

Mrs P - you are quite right, and I hope that it likes being in there and has continued progressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a day one transfer. We had seven eggs and one fertilised. Our embryos have always been dodgy so I knew it was unlikely that it would survive. It didn't. My clinic wanted to do a day two transfer but I suggested the day one and they agreed. Better in my body than the lab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rittzy. I'm not expecting mine to survive either, but like you said, probably best to be in me if it's going to have any chance at all.