+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You know what though....

And I don't mean to offend anyone, but truth is truth.....

Our bodies are designed to function at an optimal level of muscle and fat.... too little and our bodies suffer, too much and our bodies suffer...

it's NOT healthy to be on the large side... it's just not.

It's NOT healthy to be underweight.... it's just not.

I personally think... if you're too big.... do something about it

If you're too thin, do something about it.

And what YOUR body looks like at it's optimal level of functionality is completely dependent on the structure of your bones and muscles....

Ballerinas and swimmers have very different body shapes... swimmers and jockeys have very different body shapes.... jockeys and dancers have very different body shapes... our muscles change depending on the type and intensity of the movements they repetitively do.... as does our body shape...

We can all be very different shapes and sizes, but still have optimal body functionality...

I don't think that any woman (except a tall, fit person) would have an optimal body functionality at 70kgs. That's just science...

Don't get offended, get healthy.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-06-2012),lambjam  (03-06-2012),VicPark  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    I personally think... if you're too big.... do something about it

If you're too thin, do something about it.
    Couldn't agree more. Except there is a small percentage of people who do everything they can with little to no result.

As for body shape. I agree to a point. I think genetics make up for most of it though. Muscle tone will sculpt your body in particular ways, but when it comes down to it, everyone has a predefined shape - in that you will gain/retain weight in different areas. For me, I have an ar$e that goes on forever and matching tree trunks for legs. My mum is the same (at 50kg)

I think the OP mentioned something about a PITA body shape when it comes to looking for off the rack clothing? I hear ya!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep, I am a PITA. lol.

I do personally think some people are just NATURALLY going to be bigger or smaller though. DP will likely never be fat. That man can pack away the most unhealthy foods and he does a fair bit of exercise just as a part of his job... but he doesn't really get any bigger. 5kg maybe, when he's on holidays and doing nothing... but as soon as he moves again, he loses it all quickly. He's just naturally quite thin. I know plenty of women who are that way too - naturally what other people might call "underweight," when they simply cannot do much to help themselves gain.

TBH, I think why should they? If they're naturally smaller, so freaking what? All they should do eat relatively healthily, make sure they exercise, and leave it there. They shouldn't have to gain just so other people can make a judgement based on their size that they're healthy and not anorexic.

As I've said previously, my dietician wanted me to get to 77kg and said that would be a perfect goal weight for me. I'm below that now and want to gt to 70kg, but I do think that if she, who's trained to deal with weight loss and knowing what "healthy" for individuals and what's not, says my goal is somewhere around there, I really should listen to her educated opinion.

I think a lot of people would be better served if they sought this sort of information about their own bodies too - some may realise that they're just not MEANT to be where the BMI says they should, and others might learn that BMI is actually telling them they're healthy when they're really not.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im 75 kilos i work out 4-5 times a week, i am fit and healthy. I was 130kgs.

The last ten dont wanna move, *shrug*

I for one tho having lost 55kilos, dont feel the need to get on my soap box and tell people who may be struggling to just get on with it and do it.

Im not offended. But i think thats insensitive towards others. Some people dream of being 70kilos, and to come from a place WAY over 100kgs, saying its not enough is blardy harsh.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (03-06-2012),Buttoneska  (03-06-2012),Deserama  (05-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (03-06-2012),SassyMummy  (03-06-2012),shelle65  (03-06-2012),Yep  (03-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    Because I've been at different ends of the spectrum and in between I know my best weight is 54-60kg and that's now my goal weight. Not just looks wise but I function better, my bowels (tmi) my skin colour, sleep, energy. Everything just works better.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wow im not surprised but being very overweight i have never seen the other side IFKWIM.

I do notice when im out with my sister, guys are nicer to her and ppl do look at her when we walk down the street etc.

But in general we get treated similar in the shops and if anything I get treated better.

I couldn't imagine how nice ppl could be if I was skinny, cos seriously I rarely have anyone be rude to me.

I am one of those ppl who get things thrown in for free when im shopping, ppl let me in front of them at the supermarket and that sort of stuff.

My DH is always surprised by how I get treated so kindly when I am with him - he says ppl are never ever that nice.

His explanation is I look like a really nice, friendly and innocent person. Like super sweet and loveable and wouldn't hurt a fly so thats why ppl are nice to me.

I think maybe he is right - its definately not a niceness based on 'sexual appeal' its more like the innocent daughter thing if you know what I mean.

But then I say hello to old ppl in the street, randomly pay for other ppls petrol and add good vibes to the world - so maybe its flows back or maybe I walk around in a bubble and dont notice any of the meanness??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wish I was you Button! That sounds really nice.

Actually, I wish I was just in the servo with you. lol. So you could pay my petrol.

Mischa - you work you BACKSIDE off and I daresay are so much more fit than many women who have 20kg less than you do on their frames.

They do say that people who have been quite heavy should have different goals to other people too... I'm not exactly sure why, but I've heard a few people say it. It's why people who are 200kg+ are told to aim for about 100kg. They have much more muscle to lose as well... a 200kg man might have 90kg of muscle under there...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (03-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Im 75 kilos i work out 4-5 times a week, i am fit and healthy. I was 130kgs.

The last ten dont wanna move, *shrug*

I for one tho having lost 55kilos, dont feel the need to get on my soap box and tell people who may be struggling to just get on with it and do it.

Im not offended. But i think thats insensitive towards others. Some people dream of being 70kilos, and to come from a place WAY over 100kgs, saying its not enough is blardy harsh.
    You make an excellent point here DiamondEyes, and you deserve a high five!

If someone has lost a remarkable amount of weight, then they are certainly not comparable to another person with the same 'stats' who is just sitting around chilling out and not really giving much thought to health or exercise.
    Can anyone spot the difference between these two (imaginary) people just by looking at them? I'm going to say, probably not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've always been on the smaller side and have actually found that larger women have been pretty nasty to me "oh my god you're TINY", even though I'm a totally normal weight. One nurse in the hospital kept nagging me to eat and kept having really personal digs at my weight, even though I could tell she was struggling to breathe because she was so unhealthy. I'm over 60kgs btw, so hardly anything unusual

i honestly cannot imagine being mean to somebody because they are large or thin, I hear and see nastiness toward both and I just wish people would get off their moral high ground and start getting to know people for their character rather than superficial rubbish.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (03-06-2012),Deserama  (05-06-2012),Guest1234  (03-06-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hahaha.. Sassy I don't do it all the time cos I can't afford it, but maybe once a month or once every 2 mths. And I must admit I don't do with big 4wds and stuff. Normally I pick the plainihs, not too big cars of the average looking person IYKWIM. Once I got caught out and it was suprisinly $80 for their petrol - I contributed $50 cos thats my max haha. eta: oh and i think i only do it because my dad has ALWAYS done it and my sister do it too - I can't say I would have thought of it on my own.
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 03-06-2012 at 18:03.