+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am 5'2 - 161cm and 72kgs now. Bmi makes me overweight. Which I don't think I am. I have extra chubb here and there but am a comfy size 12. Ideally I like to be 68kgs. Anything less than that is far too thin for me and I get constant comments about being sick. I don't think that anyone would look at me and think fat/overweight.

Guest Guest
    I'm 5'4 and 67kg size 12-14. Up to age 30 I was always a size 6-8 and after kids was 85kg. The only thing I've noticed is when your a 6-8 people constantly comment on your weight like 'you're so skinny' or 'have you list weight?' 'how much do you weigh?' At this weight no one cares, but I don't notice a change in people's attitudes towards me.
    But what I do notice are the clothes. Size 12-14 is meant to be average but fashion isn't designed for this weight, you can't walk in to any store and pick anything out like you can at size 8, I have to be fussier and actually try stuff on. And a lot of stores only cater to size 14 which in some cases is really a 12 and I'm stuck shopping at limited shops or department stores. When I was size 16 I found it impossible, so obviously society doesn't think that weight and above is worth much if they won't even make decent clothes for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't say I've ever been skinny. My lowest size would be a 12 and I'm happy with that. My largest size was a 20 and I was so not happy with that.
    I can't really remember being treated differently other than the obvious, night clubs etc. But I know my own self esteem changed which may of in turn made my demeanor change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've noticed a very distinct difference in how people perceive you when your fat or skinny. Not everyone does it, but for those that do, some are more brazen than others.

I think the general opinion is that fat people are lazy and constantly chowing down on Maccas. And admittedly, sometimes that's true. However it really sucks to be perceived that way when it isn't true (like when weight gain isn't caused by diet or lack of exercise).

I've always had a very strict diet - fat or skinny, same diet. However, the funny thing is how people interpret the same eating habits depending on what side of the scale you are tipping.
    When I was skinny-ish, some people would look at what I'm eating and carry on like I had some sort of eating disorder. Now that I'm quite overweight some people are like, 'Do you really need that extra leaf of lettuce? Like really?'
    Same diet, very different perception!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMud View Post
    However, the funny thing is how people interpret the same eating habits depending on what side of the scale you are tipping.
    When I was skinny-ish, some people would look at what I'm eating and carry on like I had some sort of eating disorder. Now that I'm quite overweight some people are like, 'Do you really need that extra leaf of lettuce? Like really?'
    Same diet, very different perception!
    I think that's very true. It's like if there were 2 people walking down the road eating a Mars bar. For the skinny person people think "She's so lucky - she can probably eat anything she likes and not gain weight" and for the overweight person people think "Well, no wonder she's overweight if that's how she eats."

I remember Tyra Banks doing an experiment like that a while ago, where she wore a 'fat suit' and saw how differently she got judged in public.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    . The only thing I've noticed is when your a 6-8 people constantly comment on your weight like 'you're so skinny' or 'have you list weight?' 'how much do you weigh?' At this weight no one cares, but I don't notice a change in people's attitudes towards me.
    This is something I noticed. At a size 6 - 8 (where I am now - I have people making lots of comments that I must be cold as I need to put some fat on). They make pointed remarks about how everything must be so easy as I'm a smaller size. Um no - not everything is easier - and besides - I work hard to stay at this weight - I worked a lot less hard when I was a size 14.

I know it doesn't sound like I was too big when I was bigger (a 14 is average size of an Australian woman - right?), but I'm only 156cm tall - so I was bordering on obese.

When I was bigger - the only really cruel comments I remember were from boys and girls in high school

Have to say though - with regards to people treating you differently - I certainly feel more self confident the size I am now, and am less self conscious about what I eat in public (I used to stow looks about me when I was buying donuts when I was bigger (there was a puffin donut shop accross from the Target I worked at - it was so easy for break time - cheesecake mmmmm)), then again - I don't eat as much junk now - so less reason to feel guilty about it.

Which makes me wonder whether we're more conscious of others looks when we are bigger because we are self-analysing what we're eating etc. I have to admit - I don't give two hoots what others are eating in food halls etc, however, I do admit to puttint my judgy hat on when seeing kids being given chips and gravy as their lunch -it's something I'd never give to my kids for lunch.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I think that's very true. It's like if there were 2 people walking down the road eating a Mars bar. For the skinny person people think "She's so lucky - she can probably eat anything she likes and not gain weight" and for the overweight person people think "Well, no wonder she's overweight if that's how she eats."

I remember Tyra Banks doing an experiment like that a while ago, where she wore a 'fat suit' and saw how differently she got judged in public.
    That's it though isn't it - it's all about people's perception - the skinnier person probably doesn't eat what she likes and doesn't gain weight - she may go home and work it off, whereas the other person may just go home and sit on the couch.

We don't know -the overweight person may have been dieting great through the week and it's once a week treat time. The skinny person may not eat anything else all day.

I remember in days when I did have eating disorder things going on in my life, I'd allow myself a chocolate bar, but then didn't eat anything else all day. Then again - I didn't lose weight with that type of eating, and having said that - it was when I was in my teens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend she has always been average size she hasnt had many nasty ppl or comments till the other day she went into supre and the shop assistant ask if she could help and my friend told her she needs work pants and the shop assistant said oh you'll need a fat persons size (she's pregnant ) how friggen rude can ppl be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks for all replies guys!

I do understand that in some cases, it's got ot be a confidence thing... but sometimes I am completely lacking in confidence, and yet I am still treated better. Heaps better. Like I said earlier, when I go shopping I lose a whole heap of confidence and slink around feeling sorry for myself having to deal with my PITA body shape... it's pretty much how I felt when I was fatter, having to slink around knowing I couldn't fit into any normal shops. So it's not a change in attitude - the attitude is the same... people are different, not me (apart from my size).

I knew to expect more positive attention from males if I got thinner... you kind of expect that... but it's just strange how everyone seems to treat you nicer. Even last year I really had no school mothers chatting to me... and this year, they ALWAYS chat to me, and invite me out to stuff... same mothers too as our girls have remained friends this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    People are getting bigger..much bigger!!!.....what a persons healthy weight should be to most looks anarexic ...someone who is only 5ft something at 70kgs is big ..aren't they?
    This honestly depends on so much more than just their height. According to BMI, yes a 5ft woman would be overweight at 70kg. That said... there's so much more to each woman than just her height, and using height alone to determine if she truly is overweight is silly. A woman who's 70kg may have a decent amount of lean muscle mass and not that much body fat... whereas another might have a lot of those 70kg being fat alone, rather than lean muscle mass.

FWIW, I'm 74kg at the moment. About 5'2'' or 5'3''. According to the dietician, my body fat percentage is completely acceptable... but according to BMI, I'm only JUST out of the obese category and into the overweight one. My lean mass is about 54/56kg (I can't remember which!) so I'd have to lose muscle, organs or a limb to get anywhere near that kind of weight... especially since women need a certain amount of body fat anyway. Right now my body fat percentage is approx 29%. 25-32% is acceptable. 21-24% is fit. 17-20% is an athlete. Anything below that is not good.

Waist measurement is another thing she uses - I'm 78cm around my waist. Over 80cm is the danger zone, so I'm under that. Yet some women lighter than me have a bigger waist measurement than I do (like my 5ft 55kg mother).

Anyway, there's my little lecture for the day...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (03-06-2012),LotusMum  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the flip side I'm 5'7 and weigh 72kg which is supposedly overweight on bmi but no one would say I look overweight, nor am I anywhere near overfat in body fat percentage. I am a size 12, work out 5 x per week (weights and cardio), eat for my training (sometimes indulging). I look like a healthy person (because I am) so I am not fixated on what the scale says.

70kgs is just a number. It says nothing about body composition or health. I am sure BMI was helpful in the 1800's to determine if kids were getting enough food but it's not particularly helpful in adults in the modern age.