+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    People are getting bigger..much bigger!!!.....what a persons healthy weight should be to most looks anarexic ...someone who is only 5ft something at 70kgs is big ..aren't they?
    I'm 170cm (which I think is 5 foot 7 inches), and according to BMI, over 72kg is overweight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    But it's a problem (not necessarily in this thread, but in everyday life) when somebody expresses feeling a prejudice and they are essentially blamed for being the victim of the prejudice.

Examples I have been given by people are:

- fat people become invisible or the subject of derision
    - unattractive people get less favourable treatment
    - indigenous people feel scrutinised in shops or public due to racial stereotypes

I'm sure some feelings could be explained by low self esteem, but society's prejudices seem glaringly obvious as well.

You just have to listen to people talk. For example, my old boss wouldn't instruct short barristers in criminal matters as he believed juries responded better to tall people (I remember reading some research that tall men have advantages over short men in life in general).

My current boss told me that he used to send his most attractive secretary or paralegal to the court registry if he wanted something done that could go either way as the court staff would be more obliging.

And look at advertising and marketing - they don't choose fat and unattractive people to sell things.

Fitness and beauty is like a spell, and if you have it, people respond more favourably to you. It doesn't mean you are necessarily treated like dirt otherwise, but there seems to be a clear difference in treatment.
    taller people usually get better jobs..and actually tend to live longer..
    one article on it..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ve-longer.html
    Last edited by Maybelline; 03-06-2012 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I'm 170cm (which I think is 5 foot 7 inches), and according to BMI, over 72kg is overweight.
    I am 5'10 and just under 70kg..my ideal (when I feel best is about 65kg...I tend to ignore BMI)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    taller people usually get better jobs..and actually tend to live longer
    And there are endless jokes about short men, short man sydrome etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 5'10 and just under 70kg..my ideal (when I feel best is about 65kg)
    Yeah, the range is quite big. i think for my height it's 50 something to 72, which I agree with for my frame. Although i don't always think BMI is accurate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes I agree with this. I'm 5'6 and at 70kg I would be overweight. I know every body is different, but I would imagine most people of my height and shorter wouldn't be at a healthy weight if they were 70kg. The average weight has crept right up and skewed our perception of normal. Sorry off topic

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I agree too. I'm 5'7 (170cm) and I don't think 70kg is a healthy weight for me. It's at the upper end of my BMI but, from personal experience, if I hit 70kg then it's usually because I've been eating really badly and not doing any exercise. At that point I would consider myself overweight. Not obese. Not ginormous. Just not at my healthiest or fittest, and over the weight that I should ideally be.

Of course we are all different, but I would imagine that if someone was around the 5 foot mark then 70kg would probably - in most circumstances - be overweight for them.

Guest Guest
    It's been proven that people treat overweight people differently, there have been countless social experiments. It's not surprising you're being treated better, I have no reasons why it's the society we live in and what society aspires to (and being thin and healthy is a very common aspiration for people)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yes, at my heaviest I was 82kg and at my lightest 52kg and I get treated far better when thinner, even just people saying hi in the streets, or sales assistants running to help etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People are getting bigger..much bigger!!!.....what a persons healthy weight should be to most looks anarexic ...someone who is only 5ft something at 70kgs is big ..aren't they?
    The lightest I've been as an adult is 70kg at 5'3 I was a size 10 dress. Size 10-12 top and a small size 14 bottoms. I wasn't super skinny but I definitely wasn't fat or even overweight I was slim but with womanly curves I loved it and would have been horrified if someone thought I was big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Diamond eyes - wow that is amazing, well done!!! I hope you are very proud of yourself.

At my heaviest I was 75kg and 173 cm tall, size 14. I dont look like other people look like at a size 14. I looked like a size 16 and pregnant. I dont gain weight on my boobs, thighs or butt. I gain it on my arms, face and stomach...far far far from pretty. The only way I look good is when Im skinny around 55-60kg. (size 8-10)
    Its just the way my body is, I have to watch everything I eat, one false move and I pay the price.
    So I can see why people thought I was huge. But of course another person might be a size 14 and look amazing. Just depends on your body type.

And weight is not always an indicator of health. I used to go to a gym with a lady who was short and stocky, to most she looked over weight but my gosh that women could run anyone under the table. I was skinny and an hour on the treadmill had me curling in the corner ready to die while she was still powering on like a trooper. Now she was fit! Even though she may have not looked like it.