+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 188
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    657
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked
    173
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree a lot of it is societies perception of normal or healthy.
    Did anyone see the bit on sunrise this morning about body image and how they showed members of the public a photo of a woman in shorts and a crop top? She was of average height 5ft something and weighed 70kgs. Most people thought she was overweight!!!
    I think society needs an overhaul if that's 'fat'

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    perth SOR
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked
    199
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it has to do with the weight but how you feel about yourself as to how others treat you. I used to be skinny and knew I was too skinny and thought ppl looked at me bad for that but it was all in my head and because I was walking around looking unhappy then ppl didn't get anything positive off me.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

    Deserama  (05-06-2012),onedayatatime  (03-06-2012),Theophania  (03-06-2012),VicPark  (03-06-2012)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    1,170
    Thanked
    381
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep people are so much more nicer when I'm skinny. In shops I get ignored now, when I was skinny the assistants were so quick to ask if I needed help and stop for a chat. In general public people are nicer now I get ignored if not given filthy looks as they check me out not in a nice way. When I'm out eating I feel like everyone is scrutinizing what I order. Fortunately I don't see a different with how my family or friends treat me. I'm alway happy and approachable so I do think it's just based on the weight sadly.
    Last edited by Jensha; 03-06-2012 at 09:06.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's dismissive to say that you are treated in the way that you allegedly project yourself, ie. if you are treated badly or ignored, it's because there is something wrong with you, and not society.

    the lived experiences of people in this thread, and research, indicate that how people look does affect their treatment from others, no matter how sunny or otherwise their disposition is.

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (03-06-2012),MissMuppet  (03-06-2012),Mod-Myztik  (03-06-2012),SassyMummy  (03-06-2012),shelle65  (03-06-2012),trishalishous  (04-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (03-06-2012)

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bowen Basin
    Posts
    875
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people do think more favourably of thin people. I mean, I can't look at a magazine/newspaper/tv without seeing Ricki-Lee Coulter on it ... and what has she done lately? Lost 30 kg and is now worthy of all this positive attention. It's a bit over the top in my opinion because it is the primary focus of every article or interview; not her talent or any other achievement. Good on her for getting fit and losing weight if she has done it in a healthy way .... but do we have to have that message that she is more worthy of attention because she is skinny (which the media would tell us is supposed to = more hot than a size 14 because you suddenly don't need to wear pants in public?). The vibe and the message doesn't sit well with me.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

    Gruffalo  (03-06-2012)

  9. #36
    Theophania's Avatar
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,075
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked
    832
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I think it's dismissive to say that you are treated in the way that you allegedly project yourself, ie. if you are treated badly or ignored, it's because there is something wrong with you, and not society.

    the lived experiences of people in this thread, and research, indicate that how people look does affect their treatment from others, no matter how sunny or otherwise their disposition is.
    I am someone who has lost a considerable ammount of weight and truly and honestly believe that I am treated differently because I am more confident and I radiate that to others because for once in my life I actually feel worthy to be around these people... I beleive on a subconcious level I made my reality of how I was treated when I was fat because I believed I was less than and that these people shouldn't even want anything to do with me because if I couldn't stand myself I was sure no one else could accept and love me.

    I accept that others don't feel this way, but this view is not dissmissive, it is how I truly feel and what I believe. I am entitled to that view point and I am not being dissmissive of anyone's feelings.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

    Deserama  (05-06-2012),onedayatatime  (03-06-2012),Rutabaga  (03-06-2012),VicPark  (03-06-2012)

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanks
    1,498
    Thanked
    730
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    I agree a lot of it is societies perception of normal or healthy.
    Did anyone see the bit on sunrise this morning about body image and how they showed members of the public a photo of a woman in shorts and a crop top? She was of average height 5ft something and weighed 70kgs. Most people thought she was overweight!!!
    I think society needs an overhaul if that's 'fat'

    People are getting bigger..much bigger!!!.....what a persons healthy weight should be to most looks anarexic ...someone who is only 5ft something at 70kgs is big ..aren't they?

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

    bumMum  (03-06-2012),VicPark  (03-06-2012)

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I am someone who has lost a considerable ammount of weight and truly and honestly believe that I am treated differently because I am more confident and I radiate that to others because for once in my life I actually feel worthy to be around these people... I beleive on a subconcious level I made my reality of how I was treated when I was fat because I believed I was less than and that these people shouldn't even want anything to do with me because if I couldn't stand myself I was sure no one else could accept and love me.

    I accept that others don't feel this way, but this view is not dissmissive, it is how I truly feel and what I believe. I am entitled to that view point and I am not being dissmissive of anyone's feelings.
    But it's a problem (not necessarily in this thread, but in everyday life) when somebody expresses feeling a prejudice and they are essentially blamed for being the victim of the prejudice.

    Examples I have been given by people are:

    - fat people become invisible or the subject of derision
    - unattractive people get less favourable treatment
    - indigenous people feel scrutinised in shops or public due to racial stereotypes

    I'm sure some feelings could be explained by low self esteem, but society's prejudices seem glaringly obvious as well.

    You just have to listen to people talk. For example, my old boss wouldn't instruct short barristers in criminal matters as he believed juries responded better to tall people (I remember reading some research that tall men have advantages over short men in life in general).

    My current boss told me that he used to send his most attractive secretary or paralegal to the court registry if he wanted something done that could go either way as the court staff would be more obliging.

    And look at advertising and marketing - they don't choose fat and unattractive people to sell things.

    Fitness and beauty is like a spell, and if you have it, people respond more favourably to you. It doesn't mean you are necessarily treated like dirt otherwise, but there seems to be a clear difference in treatment.

  14. #39
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    People are getting bigger..much bigger!!!.....what a persons healthy weight should be to most looks anarexic ...someone who is only 5ft something at 70kgs is big ..aren't they?
    Yes I agree with this. I'm 5'6 and at 70kg I would be overweight. I know every body is different, but I would imagine most people of my height and shorter wouldn't be at a healthy weight if they were 70kg. The average weight has crept right up and skewed our perception of normal. Sorry off topic

    Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    Deserama  (05-06-2012),Mod-pegasus  (03-06-2012)

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked
    1,168
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    I agree a lot of it is societies perception of normal or healthy.
    Did anyone see the bit on sunrise this morning about body image and how they showed members of the public a photo of a woman in shorts and a crop top? She was of average height 5ft something and weighed 70kgs. Most people thought she was overweight!!!
    I think society needs an overhaul if that's 'fat'
    I disagree I think we are becoming more overweight and bigger sizes are becoming more normal. It's dangerous and worrying.. As for the op.. yes I do beleive that when I weigh more people treat me worse.. and I have never been more than 10 kg overweight.. I have a lot of very thin friends who diet a lot (I'm.thin now but I don't diet) and I have heard them say some really judgemental things about bigger people.. things like she doesn't care what she looks like anymore, she has no standards with men, she is teaching her kids such unhealthy life habits, her kids will be overweight, she is overweight because she is Lazy, if she would just spend some of her food money on Jenny Craig or a gym membership she would lose weight, she doesn't even know how big she is anymore blah blah blah.. of course their judgements come through in how they deal with people who are overweight. I think its very sad that we demonize overweight people rather than just treating people the same.. regardless if they are a healthy weight or not.. they are still a human being with feelings..

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (03-06-2012),Mod-pegasus  (03-06-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Do you yell at your children?
    By Hunkamunka in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 17-07-2012, 15:10
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 01:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!