+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.....

But I am a very thin person, I get comments all the like like your too skinny, eat some food blah blah blah. It seems socially acceptable to pick on someones body shape when they are "too thin" but not ok to tell someone they are big. Really bugs me!

Anyway, I feel like majority of larger people are rude to me.! I smile in the service line and receive a look of disgust. I try to make conversation and I am snubbed. Maybe it's coincidental, but it happens all the time......it feels as though I'm being looked at like bugger off you skinny *****!
    I've experienced similar before
    One time that stands out, DD2 was only a few months old and we were at the pools (we being me, DD1 & DD2 as well as DF). I was in the change rooms with DD1 (in my bikini if that's relevant) when a woman approached me and asked me (rudely with a smug look on her face) if I was the mother of the 2 girls I had with me, coz I didn't look like a mum or like someone that's been through pregnancy twice. I've felt so self conscious since then going to the pools and beach, like I have to cover up my body.
    But yep, I've had the go choke on a cheeseburger comments, told I don't need to diet (I've never dieted in my entire life) etc etc.

I've always been slim, and I can't say that people treat me overly nicely in general. Maybe I'm just ugly

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    ...*sigh*

Clearly you're not understanding what everyone is trying to say.

This is going round in circles - I think if you want to debate whether or not skinny people out there think whenever a fat person is mean to them it's based on their size and jealousy alone, then please start another thread. I don't want mine closed.
    People are clearly just taking offence to words I'm using and not trying to understand my point. Seeing as this thread was specifically about being treated differently because of weight alone then I thought it's valid to discuss it here. Using words like vain isn't to be mean or rude, they're words to describe exactly the things being discussed in this thread. I don't know why people ark up so much and don't take the time to think about what it all really means about us as women?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Bell&Bug you're not ugly at all, in no way, shape or form.

The "you don't look like you've had children" comment sounds like it wasn't coming from a nasty perspective. My poor stomach copped it, stretched and just bleh... it is SO gross. When I saw Prinnie on the voice last night I thought "wow she doesn't have a mum tum"...

She obviously has had a baby, and her tummy obviously handled pregnancy better than mine did. My thought of it not looking like a mum tum is from a place of pure jealousy, but I don't think she's any less of a mum at all - she's just lucky

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Bell&Bug you're not ugly at all, in no way, shape or form.

The "you don't look like you've had children" comment sounds like it wasn't coming from a nasty perspective. My poor stomach copped it, stretched and just bleh... it is SO gross. When I saw Prinnie on the voice last night I thought "wow she doesn't have a mum tum"...

She obviously has had a baby, and her tummy obviously handled pregnancy better than mine did. My thought of it not looking like a mum tum is from a place of pure jealousy, but I don't think she's any less of a mum at all - she's just lucky
    If she was nice about it I would have taken it as a compliment, but the whole time in the pools her and her sister/friend kept giving me evil looks and her tone in the change room was smug and rude and I also feel like she questioned my relationship with DF lol (are the two girls yours or your little boyfriends, coz you don't look like their/a mum or like you have been pregnant). I just showed her my ring and told her pregnancy was good to me and walked off to DF so we could go to the family change room together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How weird, maybe people need to carry around photographic evidence B&B?

I admit my hangups about my belly lead me to believe some pretty strange things. When I see a mum's stomach without stretchmarks I literally think....... how

It would never make me question maternity though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    DiamondEyes gave the jealous thing as an example because she sometimes thought mean things about a thin person because SHE was jealous..

I haven't seen anybody say people want their body, that's all you.

I do think a lot of people are nasty to others because they are jealous. That's pretty common knowledge.
    I don't think it's jealousy. People might feel intimidated, inferior to someone because they feel insecure about themselves, that they're not worthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think it's jealousy. People might feel intimidated, inferior to someone because they feel insecure about themselves, that they're not worthy.
    I agree. Sometimes jealousy, sometimes people are just flat out nasty pants.

My ex housemate used to be awfully cruel to me because I'm 'small'. Even my DP and friends picked up on it because she was so open about it. I still don't know why she did.

I still don't understand liking or not liking people for their weight, whatever that weight may be. Or treating them differently. It just makes no sense to me.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it can be all of the above, plus jealousy, and then some. People are complicated little critters.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    If she was nice about it I would have taken it as a compliment, but the whole time in the pools her and her sister/friend kept giving me evil looks and her tone in the change room was smug and rude and I also feel like she questioned my relationship with DF lol (are the two girls yours or your little boyfriends, coz you don't look like their/a mum or like you have been pregnant). I just showed her my ring and told her pregnancy was good to me and walked off to DF so we could go to the family change room together.
    I'm just baffled by this entire scenario .

If they weren't your biological children then... so what? And if they were... then telling you how good you look is going to make those women feel better how exactly?

Not to mention how many lines of social acceptability the whole thing crosses!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think weight is sometimes used as it's an easy target. If you don't really liek someone for some reason, making fun of their weight requires no wit or brains... it's something you can just add to your list of things to mock them about.

I liked to call my brother a runt because he would call me fat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (05-06-2012)