+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You would call the police.. however unless they catch them in the act there's not much they can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I once called 000 to report someone driving dangerously and they said they could only come out to a fixed location, so not much point as the driver would have long gone by the time they got there. They didn't even want to know the rego

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    Yes, you call 000 and let them know the registration and location. You follow them (at a safe distance) and relay any changes to route to the operator. A police car will be sent to pull the car over (I used to work in criminal Defence as we had quite a few clients caught this way).
    You call triple zero- and no, you don't deliberately follow the car, this can place you in danger. You need to provide the rego, a description of the car, as much info as possible about the last seen location and direction. The police do not recommend civilians engage in any sort of "chase" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    You would call the police.. however unless they catch them in the act there's not much they can do.
    There is nothing at all they can do unless they catch them because it's hearsay. They need to be caught driving and breath tested- otherwise you could ring about anyone you didn't like!

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I once called 000 to report someone driving dangerously and they said they could only come out to a fixed location, so not much point as the driver would have long gone by the time they got there. They didn't even want to know the rego
    I'm not sure which state you're in but this isn't true in NSW. All details will be taken and passed on to all police in the general area to keep an eye out.

Another reason to always call is that we assume they are drunk and committing a crime- this happened to a family friend- loads of people called triple 0 assuming she was off her head. She was suffering a diabetic attack and nearly died. If no one had called and the police they might not have caught up with her in time to save her life.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-06-2012),Izy  (03-06-2012),sweetseven  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We weren't sure in NSW, so called the Police Assistance Line 131 444 and they took the car's details and direction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I called 000 (vic) and it just so happened the person was going the way I needed to go, I kept a fair distance behind them, the police turned up shortly after the call as the reason was entering their estate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't bother as the cops have never done anything when I have witnessed extremely drunk drivers on the road. One even had 2 accidents and still they got to their door in time although they couldn't even stand up and that was enough for the cops to say they couldn't do anything. I just drive carefully and try to avoid them if I see a car weaving .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    I don't bother as the cops have never done anything when I have witnessed extremely drunk drivers on the road. One even had 2 accidents and still they got to their door in time although they couldn't even stand up and that was enough for the cops to say they couldn't do anything. I just drive carefully and try to avoid them if I see a car weaving .
    They can if there are witnesses willing to provide a statement. They may get away with being drunk, yes, because there may not be sufficient evidence to breath test, but witnesses and damage on their vehicle would be enough to get them done for failing to stop at an accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

I'm not sure which state you're in but this isn't true in NSW. All details will be taken and passed on to all police in the general area to keep an eye out.
    It was in Victoria. Also, it was a Saturday night and we were on hold for aaages before we got through to anyone, so maybe they were already up to their armpits in calls and reports and knew that nothing would be done. Who knows.