+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you think it's different for wheelchair accessible toilets?

Eg. I was in the city one day and there was a line up for the women's toilets (like 10 or 15 people waiting), so a teenage girl used the wheelchair accessible toilet. while she was using it, an elderly man with some mobility issue came along and had to wait about 1 minute. when she exited, he carried on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Do you think it's different for wheelchair accessible toilets?

Eg. I was in the city one day and there was a line up for the women's toilets (like 10 or 15 people waiting), so a teenage girl used the wheelchair accessible toilet. while she was using it, an elderly man with some mobility issue came along and had to wait about 1 minute. when she exited, he carried on.
    I don't think it's any different.

I'm risking putting people out here I know, but my own opinion is that disabled access 'things' are simply that..everyday things, belonging to all the public, with modifications to assist those with access issues. I don't feel that being disabled (or whatever the most politically correct term is now) means that you are entitled to not have to queue, whether it's for the loo or for the checkout.

The one exclusion to this is parking spots...the logistics of limited spots and location means that they should be for the exclusive use of those with permits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A disabled toilet should be reserved solely for those with disabilities, unless there is some reason why you cannot access the other toilets (such as cleaning - where it redirects you to use the disabled toilets).

Some people with disabilities kind of need to use the toilet NOW. Not when you're done faffing in about in there. But NOW. The only reason they should be forced to wait is if another disabled person is occupying the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was yelled at when i took my 5 yr old into the disabled toilet at chermside. A lady in a wheelchair went off at me when we exited.

My daughter was in her special needs pram, at the time couldnt toilet alone and was in nappies. There was no chance of changing and toileting her in the ladies toilets.

Some people obvioulsy think they're entitled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    I was yelled at when i took my 5 yr old into the disabled toilet at chermside. A lady in a wheelchair went off at me when we exited.

My daughter was in her special needs pram, at the time couldnt toilet alone and was in nappies. There was no chance of changing and toileting her in the ladies toilets.

Some people obvioulsy think they're entitled.
    Wow!

I'm guilty of using the disabled toilets. Many times they double as change rooms so had to use them before dd was toileting. But now I use them as they are more user friendly for a toddler with lower sinks and hand driers etc. I'm 8.5 months pregnant and dd is 17 kilos so extreamly hard to pick up to wash hands etc in the lady's toilets because every lady's I've been to have high sinks that some 5-6 year olds wouldn't even be able to reach dh will also use them too for dd instead of taking her in the the men's

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I'm guilty of using the disabled toilet too, but only when there is no toilet in the parent rooms and I've been by myself with the pram. What other choice is there? I'm certainly not leaving a pram out of the cubicle while I use the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffered from IBS for years and that meant when I needed the loo, I needed it STRAIGHT AWAY. One time I got abused by a lady (who was not disabled or in a wheelchair) because I rushed into the disabled toilet rather than wait behind 6 other women to use the normal ladies toilets. I told her that the other option was that I cr@pped all over the floor next to her.

She stormed off with no further comment.

Luckily that time has passed for me!

But I don't see that the disabled toilet is only for the disabled... It's a toilet that's STRUCTURED to be more accessible for them. The signs don't say "disabled people ONLY."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw just recently a middle aged woman with a walker banging on the locked door to the disabled toilets. Finally an elderly man came out and she went off her nut at him. He tried explaining something to her but she cut him off and kept yelling abuse. She wouldnt know if he had some kind of disability that prevented him from using a regular toilet. He may have just needed the handrails for assistance! You can never judge others by appearance. What a rude woman. Made me a bit annoyed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw just recently a middle aged woman with a walker banging on the locked door to the disabled toilets. Finally an elderly man came out and she went off her nut at him. He tried explaining something to her but she cut him off and kept yelling abuse. She wouldnt know if he had some kind of disability that prevented him from using a regular toilet. He may have just needed the handrails for assistance! You can never judge others by appearance. What a rude woman. Made me a bit annoyed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    when i take the double stroller with both boys in it i have to use the wider aisle too as it won't fit down the normal ones. they are not just for disabled people but they are wider so people can use them that need the wider aisle.