+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Women fined by police after pulling over with MS

http://www.news.com.au/national/woma...-1226303037432

STUCK in bumper-to-bumper traffic, mum-to-be Natalie was hit by a wave of nausea and a sudden need to vomit.
    But her decision to make an illegal turn into a side street so she could reach for a paper bag has turned into a fight with police over a $366 fine.
    An officer confronted her when she stopped her car after turning left from Grange Rd into Abbotshall Rd, Hawthorn, between 4pm and 6pm when it was not permitted because it is a notorious "rat run".
    Natalie, who asked that her surname not be published, is now challenging the penalty on the grounds of common sense and compassion and says that she is prepared to go to court to fight the fine.
    "That ban is to stop people using the Abbotshall Rd as a shortcut during peak hour to get on to Belair Rd and avoid the lights (at the intersection of Grange and Belair roads)," the 36-year-old human resources manager, of Highgate, said.
    "That's not what I was doing because as soon as I turned left I pulled over, grabbed the bag, took some deep breaths and then the nausea receded."
    Natalie, who was 29 weeks pregnant with daughter Isabella at the time of the offence on November 10 and suffered from "serious reflux", said police were waiting to nab drivers and that she was fined despite explaining her situation.
    She said that stopping her vehicle on Grange Rd was not an option because of the parking restrictions and because she would have blocked traffic.
    "I explained my situation to the officer who said he was sorry but had to issue me with a fine," Natalie said. "I was shocked that I didn't just get a warning based on common sense and compassion for my situation."
    Natalie said she was driving from work at Bedford Park to her parents' house at Beaumont, via Fullarton Rd.
    She wrote to the police expiation notice branch on November 17, asking for the fine to be withdrawn. Her letter included a letter from her obstetrician confirming she suffered severe "sudden and unpredictable" nausea and vomiting during her pregnancy.
    Expiation notice branch operations manager Glenn Thomson replied in a letter dated November 25, saying "I appreciate the circumstances" but the fine "will stand".
    Unley Liberal MP David Pisoni has taken up Natalie's case and said police should withdraw the fine. He said that this case warranted "no more than a warning".
    "There's no doubt this Government has become addicted to revenue-raising through traffic fines, which has put police under pressure to err on the side of revenue-raising rather than using their discretion to give a warning," he said.
    Natalie's case has been referred to the police Criminal Justice Section, which will determine whether the matter goes to court or whether the fine be withdrawn.

Wdyt? Should she have to pay the fine?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. I think police have lost their ability to use discretion which clearly should have been used in this case.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i feel for her!
    i once jumped off a moving tram to vomit, when had hyperemesis. not pleasant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    geez reminds me of when I was working in my first pg and used to have to pull the car over to puke in a gutter poor woman I do think the police are being unfair...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's idiocy at its best that the fine still stands. It is blatant revenue raising and nothing more. Same as the parking fine I received during the grand prix at my sons school at 3.35pm. They fined around 30 parents and not one was rescinded. Outrageous and good on her for fighting it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah that's a bit unfair, that said the police officer issuing the ticket would have heard that excuse a million times!
    I think it should have been pulled when she sent a letter from her OBGYN.
    Her next step is to take it to court where it will most likely get waived anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely disgraceful that this wasn't pardoned or that a ticket was written in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she should have just whacked on her hazard lights and stopped where she was, rather than making the illegal turn. Yes she would have blocked traffic but it would only have been for a minute and she wouldn't have been fined for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    I think she should have just whacked on her hazard lights and stopped where she was, rather than making the illegal turn. Yes she would have blocked traffic but it would only have been for a minute and she wouldn't have been fined for it.
    Agree but when you're preggers and sick you cant think straight. It wouldve been more stressful for her when other cars start beeping at her.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartjb View Post
    Agree but when you're preggers and sick you cant think straight. It wouldve been more stressful for her when other cars start beeping at her.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I don't think she should have been driving a car if she couldn't think straight. I think she should have to pay the fine, the police can't have compassion for everyone who gives them an excuse and she broke the law, she said the sick feeling passed so an officer wouldn't have even seen that she had vomited to back up her claim, I can see why she got a ticket. I think unless it is a life threatening situation then you break the law, you pay the fine, there is too much room for manipulating otherwise.