+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I also think it is really sad that she felt she needed to use a parents room to feed her baby
    Why? Some mothers (myself included) just prefer a quiet parents room over a busy cafe. My DD loves to come off and on and look at what's going on whilst taking my boob with her. A quiet parents room is so much more stress free! If it's nice ones (no yukky toilet smells) you can take a coffee or smoothey with you Sometimes new mothers just don't have the confidence to do general motherly things in public. Confidence often comes with time but she's only been a mother for 4 weeks, hoorah for her that she's actually made it out of the house!! I remember the first time I had to change DS's nappy in public, I was paranoid someone was going to tell me I was doing it all wrong. I was seriously stressed!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (02-06-2012),Jay87  (02-06-2012),RobinSparkles  (02-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Same, Bec. I don't think it's sad. I'm perfectly happy to BF in public, I've fed DS in many public places, and once in a meeting at work. But if I'm out I'd much prefer to feed in a parent's room. They're quiet, have little stimulation, you can spread out and you're nice and close to a change table.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It wasn't paying to bf in public, it was paying to use a private room clearly labelled member's only. Talk about media beat up .
    This! Maybe I should try it when I'm at the airport next and I want to go into the Qantus club!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have said stick your ten dollars and just whipped it out to feed. Who cares where you are if your child is hungry you just feed them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 86cin View Post
    I would have said stick your ten dollars and just whipped it out to feed. Who cares where you are if your child is hungry you just feed them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    She had that option and was offered seating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is a great media beat up. I am a member at the pharmacy and the baby club mentioned in the article. You pay $10 per annum to be a member of the pharmacy which gets you 20% discount off all your purchases in the store and cafe. If you have children under the age of 3 then you can also be a member of the baby club at no extra cost which gets you access to a very small room which has a toilet, one private feeding cubicle and 3 other chairs within the room, plus a little toy area for bigger kids. There is a change table and microwave to prepare food. If there are more than 2 adults and 2 prams in the baby room then it is squishy. The article made it out to be a luxurious club where you have to pay $10 per visit. I must say the woman who runs the baby club is incredibly rude and condescending and I would guess that she inflamed the situation with her attitude. I have been reprimanded by her on a couple of occasions, one time because I followed another Mum in without swiping my own card, and another time because I left the door open (because another Mum with a pram was about to follow me out). Unfortunately the Mall where the pharmacy is located doesn't have public toilets or baby change facilities. There is however a bakery very close by that has baby change facilities and while it doesn't have a private feeding are it does have a small room with only a few tables and also booths. I guess given the woman in question wasn't local then she wouldn't know that. While I am all for breastfeeding in public and have done it on many many many occasions, in this instance the media has omitted a fair bit of background information.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-06-2012),twotrunks  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    THe title of this thread is wrong. She was not asked to pay $10 to breastfeed in public. The pharmacist had a parenting room which I'm assuming they paid for out of their pocket for the use by their members. To be honest I think it's fair enough. It's no different to Hoyts refusing non-movie going people using their toilets. They offered her other options so I don't see the problem.. she's the one who didn't want to breastfeed in public (fair enough) she was never charged to breastfeed in public.
    Agree 100%

While it would be good if more parenting rooms were available, the store only allows their members to use it for whatever reasons they like (even if you don't think they are good ones) which is their right, and having a baby doesn't give us access to whatever facilities we want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think it is really sad that she felt she needed to use a parents room to feed her baby
    Whether it's sad or not to me depends on her reason. If it is because she's worried people will be nasty to her or judge her, yes. If she's just not comfortable with the public seeing her titties (like me!), feels more comfortable in private etc, then no. That would be personal preference rather than fear of the public's reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A media beat up yes.
    But she had the arrogance to go to her local paper/ write in to the media about it. Bet she is sorry now she isn't getting much sympathy (after looking at most of the comments on the article online)
    It was a private room/ club in a private business. She had no right to go in there without paying the fee. It seems they were very reasonable offering her a seat to feed but she chose to refuse it, walk the 4 blocks to the myer centre and then write into the paper about it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (02-06-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use parents rooms to feed DD. I'm not sad about it. I would feel really uncomfortable getting my tits out for any reason :lol: I love that their are quiet little curtained off areas cause DD has started cutting her feed off if something grabs her attention.