+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Almost 3yr old taking over 1 hr to settle got the night

Argh!! DS is doing my head in! No matter what time we take him to bed (7pm or 8pm) he takes over 1 hr to finally stop jumping out of bed and calling for me. It's "I want mummy" over and over again ( and other silly excuses too). I have tried being nice and calm and tried bring angry etc but none of it works. I don't care about dealing with him, I am just worried that he will be too tired the next day as he still gets up normal time. Is this a phase? What can I do in the meantime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Got = IN the night. Not sure how to edit headings on my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The first thing that comes to mind is whether he is still having a day nap- if he is, can you make sure it's earlier in the day or not as long?
    Having a really predictable bedtime routine helps my girls settle, but sometimes they are just not ready to sleep when you want them too. We make our girls stay in bed, but they can look at books if they like. We have a "checklist" with our eldest that we go through each night before bed- we check that she's brushed her teeth, gone to the toilet, had a sip of water, had a story and hugs and kisses, had cream put on her skin if needed (she has eczema) and then if everything is done, she Jason reason not to sleep.
    Sometimes she'll "remember" something she forgot to tell us after she's gone to bed, but we get her straight back in bed. If it gets too noisy, we turn off the lights and close their door, otherwise it stays ajar.
    You could try the super nanny bedtime tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much, I'll try the check list with some pictures! He usually refuses to day sleep, but is that tired by 2pm he will usually fall asleep and have a 1hr nap on the couch or my bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps with the checklist do you tick it off each night? If you do, do you make copies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you need to sit next to his bed or the end of it or in the doorway.
    I tried to leave my DS in his brm by himself but he kept coming out to the lounge room. It soon went from one hour to 15mins. Most nights it's 5mins and he's asleep.
    Routine is teeth, read two books (in his bed), cuddles n kisses and then lights out and I sit at the end of his bed playing on my mobile and then he is asleep within 15mins.
    I usually start routine 7:45pm but some nights it's earlier depending on how he is and time of the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks purple, the other night I knelt near him until he fell asleep, that was my last resort after an hour. I'll try the super nanny ideas and if that fails I'll try to sit near him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, she just knows what she needs to do. She has just turned 4 and shares a room with 2.5 yr old DD2.
    We can't put them to bed at the same time - too many shenanigans(!), but once DD2 is in bed, we set a timer for 20 minutes, the quicker she gets everything done on her checklist, the more time she has for stories and cuddles.
    DH mostly does the bedtime routine for the girls- I'm busy getting 6 month old DS in bed and getting our dinner ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 gets 20 minutes after DD2 is put to bed (they share a room). She knows everything she needs to do (she just turned 4) and the quicker she does it, the more time she has for stories/ cuddles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks