+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The mother sustaned burns and bruisin fro the airbags, and a man in ICU who had an acident te saeday my brother did had airbags and he as braindead, they switched off his lifesupport after 3 weeks and he passed away. I don't believe the front seat is suitable for anyone under adult size and strength personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just bought a new (7yo) car, and for the first time I have a car with airbags.

Then of course my tiny Miss11 goes to sit in the front seat like she has done many times in other cars without airbags, and I start to wonder whether perhaps this is not a good idea. (She is similar in size to many 9yo's.)

Also, when we do have a full carload, Miss13 is in the front. She is a typical 13yo size but is that big enough with an airbag?

I've never had one before so not really looked into it. I'm getting the car serviced at a dealership on Monday, so I guess I'll ask them.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 02-06-2012 at 09:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waitsee View Post
    Pp I don't know the model ute but DP's there is a key point inside the glove box, so you are able to turn off the airbag on the passenger side if there is a car seat fitted in the passenger seat, luckily it is a dual cab so the seats are properly fitted in the rear seats only.
    When looking at vehicles, we were told by a salesman that child restraints couldn't be legally fitted into into any dual cab utes, because they didn't have anywhere to put the bolt/clips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    When looking at vehicles, we were told by a salesman that child restraints couldn't be legally fitted into into any dual cab utes, because they didn't have anywhere to put the bolt/clips.
    My friend's Navara has one on each side on the back of the seat. It was an extra when she bought it brand new and was safety checked by QAS when they installed a Maxi Rider before travelling the country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    My partner's ute came with anchors already in it. It's not the newest ute either. So in some duel-cab utes, there is room for carseats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    The mother sustaned burns and bruisin fro the airbags, and a man in ICU who had an acident te saeday my brother did had airbags and he as braindead, they switched off his lifesupport after 3 weeks and he passed away. I don't believe the front seat is suitable for anyone under adult size and strength personally.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, Share a Book *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    That is an interesting point. I have a friend that is a small adult, and her small stature is attributed to medical conditions. She is shorter than most teens. When purchasing a car, some models were unsuitable because they didn't allow her to drive them with her size, whereas others were okay. I remember wondering whether an airbag would be dangerous for her.

PS: She does have adult strength.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven Eleven View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, Share a Book *hugs*
    My brother will be fine. He had no airbags and the impact was front-on in a van. The other man was in a sedan. He had airbags, was braindead and later died. His fiance suffered internal injuries from the seatbelt but was otherwise fine. No passenger airbags. The last few weeks has left me seriously wondering about the safety of airbags.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our dual cab came with anchor points fitted behind the rear seats.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies on utes. I told him and we still disagree! He says the carseat would keep DS back and not throw him forward like a set belt does. But to me, it's not worth the risk so until we can afford a dual cab in 12-18 months, the ute is still a no go for the kids!

I can't stop thinking about this family. Just so awful that one bad decision led to this.