+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mum posts photo of 3 year old car crash victim

You know when people make photos visible to friends of friends on fb, if a friend comments on it, their friends see it? Well my friend commented on a photo of a 3yo car crash victim with pretty much the same thing as everyone else, asking why he was in the front and not in the back in his carseat. As much as I agree with what they are saying, I don't think it's the right time. The accident was earlier this week, the child was hit with the full impact of the airbag and because his little hands were over his face he has a broken jaw, nose and eye socket. He also has bruising to his arms, chest, abdomen and of course his face, and cuts to his legs. He has sustained significant brain damage as well. The mother posted to say they have learnt the hard way and people telling her how wrong she is will not change things. She will also be charged for dangerous driving, failing to use the appropriate restraint for the child, and wreckless endangerment. It was such a shock, at first I thought it was one of those photos to highlight child abuse, poor baby looked like he'd gone a few rounds of boxing with a gorilla. So sad, poor baby, hope he recovers fast and is not in too much pain
    Last edited by share a book; 01-06-2012 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OMG how sad people don't realize how much harm air bags can do to children. They are designed at a certain height for a reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Poor bubba, how heartbreaking!

And the parents will live with the guilt for the rest of their lives, as they should. This didn't need to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've posted about my car accident on here before to try and get across how bad it actually is, even moreso for children. I can show you what an airbag does to a 23 year old adult I can't imagine the poor child.
    I have permanent scarring from the burn it caused me on my neck and face. It's very serious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh man! That is just so terrible for the poor boy. While I think his mother sounds like she did several idiotic things - I'm fairly impressed by her courage to be so open about what she did as a warning to others.
    She probably doesn't need to read the 'why not in the back?' comments... but doing something so irresponsible.... it's pretty appalling...and probably hard not to comment.
    I'm so sad for that little fella.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope they get peace. That guilt would just be so awful.

I feel for all of them. What a brave woman to stand up and say...I did the wrong thing and I hope no one else does.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (02-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The mum got pretty awful burns, but the child didn't seem to although he was all shades of blue, black and purple

I do think it was irresponsible, but also believe she and her son are living the consequences. Child safety will also investigate and the charges she is facing are not minor. They will forever suffer for that snap decision to let a tired, tantruming kid sit in the front for the 5 minute trip home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hopefully it makes just one person think then.

My sister is terrible with carseats and her kids. Tiny Miss 6 is often not in her carseat and is allowed to sit in the front on occasion 'as a treat'. Miss 9 has been sitting in the front since she was 6 and she is also tiny. My sister thinks I am obsessed with carseats and thinks I am being ridiculous when I won't let my kids go in her car for a less than 5 minute trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter turns 9 in August and only outgrew her 5pt harness by height not weight in January and is in an anchored booster now. People think I'm obsessed too but you never know what can happen. This was a 5 minute trip home from the corner shop. My brother crashed 500m from his front gate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I hope they get peace. That guilt would just be so awful.

I feel for all of them. What a brave woman to stand up and say...I did the wrong thing and I hope no one else does.
    I agree. As awful as I'm sure it is to see, if it makes just one person think twice and not do it, then her child's suffering is not in vain.