+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    Why the ... eviezmum?
    Trying to keep track of the thread, haven't figured out how to subscribe from my phone yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ahh ok lol. My phone has a section I can go to that shows things I have posted in. I dont know about actually subscribing though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    Ahh ok lol. My phone has a section I can go to that shows things I have posted in. I dont know about actually subscribing though.
    Same, but I have to post something for it to show in this section - hence the ...

Incidentally, I have seen the first season and loved it. But I didn't know it was based on a book until about half way through. I have since bought the book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Am curious to know what others opinions are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eviesmum, if you have an iPhone, go to the more section and go to favorites, the favorites are all the subscribed topics.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Read all the Game of Thrones novels and novellas...

For those of you who are wondering whether or not to indulge in the books which the Game of Thrones series is based on (they're actually called the Song of Ice and Fire books), I fully recommend doing so. Let me tell you why...

They're more addictive than the television series. Though I'd meant to read them for years, I only got into them after watching the first few episodes of the TV series. I could not stand waiting a week to learn what happened, so I bought the book and dove in. What a freaking fantastic decision that was! You get to witness many more interesting character moments in the books, in addition to learning a variety of fascinating details about the world the story is set in (remember these books, while fantasy, are based on history so reading them is like reading engrossing historical adventures... with an occasional dragon or malevolent magician). I ate the first book, so I kept going. For a month or two I read nothing but Martin's series, including the three novellas set in the same world but set much earlier than the events of the series. I would read these puppies on my lunch breaks, shooing away actual humans and shying away from conversation. Eventually, one of my coworkers began reading them and exhibited the very same antisocial behavior... So when I say addictive, I mean addictive.

Also, the first season of the TV series is pretty faithful to the storylines in the book (indeed, the author George RR Martin is a producer and writer on the show). However, the second season diverges a bit more. The show writers have made substantial character changes, which end up shifting aspects of the plot in notable ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Wonders View Post
    For those of you who are wondering whether or not to indulge in the books which the Game of Thrones series is based on (they're actually called the Song of Ice and Fire books), I fully recommend doing so. Let me tell you why...

They're more addictive than the television series. Though I'd meant to read them for years, I only got into them after watching the first few episodes of the TV series. I could not stand waiting a week to learn what happened, so I bought the book and dove in. What a freaking fantastic decision that was! You get to witness many more interesting character moments in the books, in addition to learning a variety of fascinating details about the world the story is set in (remember these books, while fantasy, are based on history so reading them is like reading engrossing historical adventures... with an occasional dragon or malevolent magician). I ate the first book, so I kept going. For a month or two I read nothing but Martin's series, including the three novellas set in the same world but set much earlier than the events of the series. I would read these puppies on my lunch breaks, shooing away actual humans and shying away from conversation. Eventually, one of my coworkers began reading them and exhibited the very same antisocial behavior... So when I say addictive, I mean addictive.

Also, the first season of the TV series is pretty faithful to the storylines in the book (indeed, the author George RR Martin is a producer and writer on the show). However, the second season diverges a bit more. The show writers have made substantial character changes, which end up shifting aspects of the plot in notable ways.
    What you wrote in that last paragraph is what turns me off watching the TV show. I have all the books from The Song of Fire and Ice and have read them countless times. They are by far my favorite books!! What are the books called that date before The Game of Thrones ect? I would love to read them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes, the books that are part of the Song of Ice and Fire world are called The Tales of Dunk and Egg. (They really helped me cope with waiting for more of Martin's series to come out.) Currently, there are just three novellas that make up these tales (I say "currently" because good, old Martin plans to write something like nine of them). They follow a couple of character who have been mentioned/ suggested in the series' history: Egg (a Targaryen who becomes King Aegon V and is actually Maester Aemon's brother) and Dunk (a knight before he was part of the kingsguard, Ser Duncan the Tall). It's about 90 years before the events of the series take place, too, but you'll find thematic resonances and you'll certainly see character connections when you re-read the Song of Ice and Fire books. The novellas in story time order are "The Hedge Knight", "The Sworn Sword" and "The Mystery Knight". (I reckon the first novella is just OK but the second one is really strong.) Let me know what you think if you read them!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Wonders For This Useful Post:

Keerah  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Miss Wonders, will definately have to keep my eye out for them!

I love it when authors write books over large spans of time. I have another group of books I adore, shame it is so hard to get hold of copies of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was shocked and horrified when I first started watching the first season because all the kids are made 3 years older than in the book! Totally changes some things in my opinion like Bran is soo much older etc. But after watching it for a while I can understand why they did it. They can't very well have underage sex on screen etc.

The first season stuck really closely to the plot but the second season didn't - they pretty much just made stuff up! New characters, totally new plot twists and situations. Quite funny really. Still great to watch though. And in fact I preferred some plot points in the tv series than in the book - mainly when it came to Arya's story intertwining with Tywin Lannister (not to give anything away).

I agree with the PP that said Tyrion was spot on. He's my absolute hero and he's just as good in the show. I reckon they got most characters pretty spot on actually, Cersei, Robb, Catelyn (annoying stuck up prigg that she is), Sansa.

Only one I didn't think was particularly well done was Jamie, especially in the second season. He is SUCH a complex character, and written so well that you really are on his side even though he does some shocking things. But in the series I think that subtlety is missed a little and he is more of a straight forward bad guy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I watched the first season first and thought it was so good I went out to but the books. Have read the first book and watched the second season, about to read the second book.
    I like the show so much I didn't want to ruin it by pulling it apart (which I always do, comparing it to the book). I always find books better so I'm glad I can enjoy the show and then read the book and think wow I LOVE this book. It's the only series I've ever done it this way for.