+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Braxton hicks - sudden increase in frequency/strength?

Hi ladies - I'm currently 32 weeks and from about 3pm this afternoon have been having much more frequent and more intense BH.

With DS1 and so far in this pregnancy, they only ever felt a bit uncomfortable and very occasional (maybe 1 or 2 a day).

This afternoon I had quite an intense one - and the first one that I'd consider to be painful (enough to make me stop and breathe through it, but not too bad). Since then I've have had quite a few (though I haven't been paying attention to how many/how often), but they haven't been as painful as that first one.

I know many other women have painful BH for weeks/months, but just wondering if others have experienced the sudden increase in both frequency and intensity. Is it something that comes and goes?

My DS1 came 5 weeks early after my waters broke unexpectedly, but even then could barely feel the contractions until hours and hours later (although they were monitoring me and kept telling me I was contracting), so I find it very hard to compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be inclined to go get checked given that it was a sudden change and your last baby was prem. Or at least ring hospital and speak to a midwife for reassurance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Butterfly For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I had them pretty constantly from 20 weeks but at 37+2 I had some pretty nasty ones and did get a little worried. They settled down and DS arrived at 38+3.

I didn't really start having real contractions until I was about 4cm so I guess the BH were doing something (and I was having them right up until I went into labour). I'd probably ring the hospital and keep an eye on the timing of your BH. Hope they settle down for you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I'll keep a closer eye on them for now. If they continue or get worse will ring the midwife. They're still going at the moment, but at least it's gone back to just the tight/uncomfortable feeling.

Jodier - that's what I was worried about. Hoping this one isn't quite that early!