+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Disgusting. My stepson is one of those special needs in main ****** schools and I often wonder how other parents feel about it. Now I know
    I highly doubt that the ignorant and down right disgusting attitude held by 'Y' is common among parents.

I am appalled by her attitude...I think there should be an "institution" for people like her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would pity Y as well because she obviously does not know the joy that a lot of kids with downs bring to their parents and the world in general. Obviously your daughter can see that, which is great!

I agree, I seriously would have made her get out and walk, and tell her I wouldn’t want anything to do with her. I can’t stand people with those kind of attitudes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    My dd has a girl in her class with special needs , they are both 6yrs old.

And my dd doesnt even realise that this girl is a child with special needs, she just knows that that is the way she is.
    she knows that the girl is different to her just like dd is different to every other kid in the world.

She knows we are all different and that being different is normal.

I never go into why this girl is different, there is no need to, she doesnt need to have a reason why she is different, dd and other people just need to know that they need to accept people the way they are/the way they look, speak and so on!
    exactly! That is exactly how DD thinks too.
    The play date will still go ahead, when the weather clears up of course. It just makes me more determined to encourage her behaviour and attitudes especially as Y is an influentional person in DD1's life. I have even been tempted to write the school and thank them for helping to encourage a more accepting and compassionate society after this incident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am angry for you, I am appauled at Y's comments. Shame on him/her.

I go to the library pretty much every day to use the internet and have to take Nathan, a lot of the time they have children/teen (and even some adults) with special neesd (a lot of them with Down's) from the local special development school, they love Nathan, always talking to him etc. It's great. He always sees this teenager there with Downs who loves Thomas the tank so they talk for ages and watch Youtube together
    Last edited by mum2bubba; 01-06-2012 at 16:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was raised with a brother who has severe cerebral palsy ( he was adopted after my parents saw an add in the paper asking for foster parents for him as his real mother did not want him ! ) a cousin who was deaf and autistic & another cousin who was also deaf. I can honestly say it was the best environment to grow up in, my sister and I grew up understanding everyone is different in their own way, not better or worse, just different.
    In later years my father came out as being gay, because of our upbringing and knowing people were all different it meant we we also better able to understand that situation and were fine with it
    It makes me sick that people are still so closed minded and sadly I have come to realize a lot of my friends were like Y and removing them from my life has been the best thing i could have done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so not surprised by Ys reaction but I'm also disgusted too!!

OP - you have done a great thing by organizing the play date and I hope there are many more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you handled it alot better then i would have.. i would have told Y that we were no longer friends. Its that sort of attitude that makes things for children who need that little bit of more help a bit harder. there the ones who ***** to the teachers principals.

GOOD on your DD!! is a proud moment for you specially how she put it
    hope they have a ball on their playdate!!