+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    I am trying to watch my mouth particularly as I call the bird a c word a bit :/
    Nooooo not the C-Bomb! I shudder everytime i hear that word!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another who has kids that listen to a parent (their father) swear so so much, but never swear themselves. They have each said most swear words once, but I calmly explain to them that it's best if kids don't say those words, it sounds very yucky coming from a kid, but when they're an adult they can decide if they want to say them or not. I do point out that it still sounds yucky coming from an adult, but they do have a choice. It's worked perfectly for us. They never swear now.

I was disgusted however, afew weeks ago, when we were driving in the car and we started talking about swear words, I think maybe one had been on the radio. I think the word in question was "sh!t". 6yo asked me if it was the worst swear word. I said there was worse. 9yo piped up and said "oooh yes, I know which word is the worst". I told him I doubt that, as he'd probably never heard it. He said "yes I have, is it the C U Next Tuesday one?" He told me he'd heard it in school.
    We then went on to talk about how we're not to say that word ever, and that even most adults don't say it, as it's very bad. Then 6yo says "but what about the n word, like what nanny says instead of tiger in eenie meenie minie mo?". So then I had to try and explain to them how n is a bad word that causes upset to many people, but then some dark skinned people use it to describe themselves and their friends. Confusing conversation that was LOL.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my sister moved back from overseas and her 4yr starting spending time with my dad (his grandpa).

he straight away picked up swearwords, not noly the words - but the whole phrase/context/feel.

on the surface it was funny, but my dad swears like a sailor.

it has reached the point where my sister now has a swear jar and if my dad swear infront of everyone he has to put $1 in a swear jar. (there is no actual swear jar, but my nephew thinks he has to do the same thing and it comes out of the money he earns to buy footy cards).

now my nephew never swears and he notices whenever dad does and says 'grandpa put a $1 in the swear jar'

The worst thing was my nephew thought swearing was really cool, we would laugh cos we couldn't help it and he idolises his grandpa so it was hard. Over time we have explained that swear words are what silly ppl when tehy aren't smart enoguh to think of the real world and we encourage him to think of the real word that is wanting to say.

It has taken probably 12mths but it has worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DP swears so much, im always getting cranky at him for it.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 05-06-2012 at 01:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd just leave it.

When she's old enough, explain that it's a word for adults ONLY to use.

We say the s-word, but also the f and c words too in this household... and yet DD doesn't ever try it on herself, and actually thinks of "hate" as a "swear word." lol.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    When she's old enough, explain that it's a word for adults ONLY to use.
    oh I hate that... (nothing personal I just had the whole philosophy)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have been busy moving recently & we were in my DS room setting up his bed rail on his new big boy bed & we couldn't get it to fit & DS out of the blue says F*** sake, don't know who he had been listening to recently lol

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 3 and a bit and probably just before she turned 3 she went through a rhyming phase. I was 'mummy bummy' DF was 'daddy baddy', 'Grandma bandma' etc.

DF was driving her home from daycare when she comes out with - 'Today I played with Hunter. I call him Hunter C*nter' LMFAO.

I HATE the C word, but it was only because it rhymed that she said it, she's never heard that word as we don't use it at home. DF nearly drove off the road he was so shocked! lol!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OffwiththePixies For This Useful Post:

baby minyos  (04-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am the one who swears in our house.

The other night DH and I , while not arguing about finances, we were getting pretty close.... And yes bad parents that we are DD was in the next room. I said to DH "this wouldn't be happening if I was f*#%ing working!" DD came into the kitchen, looked right at her father and said "f%#*ing working!"

I was horrified, and am making much more of an effort to 1) not swear in front of her AND 2) save the grown up "worried-about-money" talks for after she goes to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was little I remember being absolutely mortified when I was told that I'd said a swear word, for example after hearing/using it with other kids at school.
    I've heard my mum say the f word once in my life (when I put an ice block on her back) and my dad said cr*p once (in regards to McDonalds food lol) and that's it!
    And I still never ever swear in front of my parents!