+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When is Zantac and rani ok?

Hi was wondering what week or trimester heart burn meds where ok? I asked my midwife about 23 weeks in and she said I could take it occasionally for some relief and then I just have gavascon as Reni but I'm 27 weeks now and it's constant and all the time which diminishes my appetite and sleep! Can anyone shed some light on this
    Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought it was OK to use heartburn meds (pregnancy safe ones) at any time during your pregnancy.

Just make sure you don't exceed the maximum dose.

I use Mylanta effervescent tablets and it says on the bottle not to exceed the maximum recommended dose if you are pregnant.

If your heartburn is really severe and normal over the counter meds aren't working, there is tablets your GP can prescribe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Don't know but put a teaspoon or more of bicarb in a glass of water and scull! Best heartburn treatment ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah from what I was told you can take any pregnancy safe ones at any time during pregnancy, making sure to stay within the maximum dose.

I had really bad heartburn for most of my pregnancy. Its only just eased off a bit now. Reni tablets were the only ones that didnt take like butt, but they didnt provide much relief. I couldnt take the other stuff, made me gag.

I have just found the chewable quickease though. The ones that are chewy like minties. And they have a berry flavour too. They are pretty yummy, and they work pretty quick. They just dont last as long.

And I second what felicia said, speak to your GP about some prescription ones. They work really well if its getting that bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yer see I was told Zantac was only in a certain trimester? So have you tried this all through?
    the gavascon and Reni and all that stuff just don't do the job anymore I feel like I'm eating it all day lol I had the rani with my first and it's not till the 3rd trimester they offered that to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Ob was happy with me having Zantac throughout my pregnancy. I started it around 20 weeks in each pregnancy. Speak to your pharmacist/GP/Ob to double check for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zantac is perfectly safe in pregnancy and has been widely studied without any effects on baby. It works by reducing the acid your stomach produces. You dont take it randomly when you have symptoms like you do with antacid tablets/liquids - it is a preventative so you need to take it regularly to help you. Antacids like Rennies only neutralise the acid, they are taken symptomatically. Alot of the antacids have ingredients that cause constipation or are more risky in very large quantities than Zantac is! Start with Zantac once a day (taken as a preventative) and then if not covering you for the whole day take one in morning and one in evening. Dont take Zantac within 3 hours of taking any antacids. If you are not keen on Zantac then have you tried liquid antacids rather than the chewable tablets? Liquid antacids are much more effective. There are some liquid antacids like Gaviscon that work better for reflux than Mylanta and others by placing a thick layer over your stomach contents so they are less likely to leak back up into your oesophagus. If Zantac doesnt work when taken twice a day you will need prescription medication from your doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started on Zantac (but chemist brand) at 22 weeks. The dr was happy to give me a script for it and it has about 5 repeats on it I take two a day. I missed one the other day, ugh! Nearly floored me. I won't miss again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I'll look into it tomorrow I'm glad you guys have the know how I was going crazy here