+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Switching from one sided feeding to both... Advice needed!

Hi everyone I'm new to Bubhub and just after some advice! My DS2 is 16 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. He has been feeding really well however my doc says he hasn't put on enough weight. I have always fed one side per feed since birth and he has always been fine with this. Now I'm thinking I need to feed off both sides but just wondering how long it will take for my supply to adjust? Do I feed for a certain amount of time then swap? Also do I use the breast I finished the last feed with to begin the next one? Sorry for so many questions just need some advice! Hopefully someone out there can give me some ideas!Thanks for reading!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    firstly - how does your doc measure this 'supposed' magical weight amount that your son was supposed to gain? babies gain weight differently and bf babies plateau around the 4mth mark from memory (and then have a massive growth spurt). your bub could be a couple of weeks short of this huge feeding frenzy and thats why your doc is getting all agitated.

as long as your bub is producing 5-6 wet nappies in 24hrs, 1 poopy nappy every 10 days, is alert, sleeps relatively well, has good skin tone and tears appear when they cry then YOU HAVE ENOUGH!

If you have always only offered one side (I only ever fed from one side) then your body knows to produce enough milk for each feed from that one side. You may want to offer the second when bubbie pulls off but there is no guarantee bub will take it.

yes you use the breast you used last to start the next time

ie feed1= feed left fully, offer right
    feed 2 = feed right fully, offer left etc
    feed 3 = feed left fully, offer right.

good luck and hth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello and welcome
    I'm similar to you and have mostly fed from one side per feed but now swap over a bit more.

I feed from one breast and then when she's finished offer the other, sometimes she takes it sometimes she doesn't. Then for the next feed I will start on the breast that was offered 2nd last time.

Not sure about your supply adjusting, I didn't really notice it happening so I assume it happens quite quickly.

This is what I do - someone else will probably have better advice. You could always phone the ABA as well as they have heaps of info and are really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    firstly - how does your doc measure this 'supposed' magical weight amount that your son was supposed to gain? babies gain weight differently and bf babies plateau around the 4mth mark from memory (and then have a massive growth spurt). your bub could be a couple of weeks short of this huge feeding frenzy and thats why your doc is getting all agitated.

as long as your bub is producing 5-6 wet nappies in 24hrs, 1 poopy nappy every 10 days, is alert, sleeps relatively well, has good skin tone and tears appear when they cry then YOU HAVE ENOUGH!If
    I totally agree with this! Some docs don't have a clue. Trust your body and your instincts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your responses ladies! I think the dr was concerned because he hadn't put on much weight since his 2 month needles. I was more concerned with the fact he has a ruptured ear drum . He wasn't my regular dr so I'm not going to stress too much. He has the wet nappies and poos 2-3 times a day still. As for sleep he's pretty good only wakes 1-2 times a night for a feed and back to sleep straight away. I think I'll keep on feeding both sides just to make sure he's getting plenty. Thanks again for the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Thanks for your responses ladies! I think the dr was concerned because he hadn't put on much weight since his 2 month needles. I was more concerned with the fact he has a ruptured ear drum . He wasn't my regular dr so I'm not going to stress too much. He has the wet nappies and poos 2-3 times a day still. As for sleep he's pretty good only wakes 1-2 times a night for a feed and back to sleep straight away. I think I'll keep on feeding both sides just to make sure he's getting plenty. Thanks again for the advice!
    Sounds like you are doing a marvellous job! Keep up the good work!

Definitely trust your instincts re his weight, etc. As the pp have said, as long as he's alert, sufficient wet nappies, sleeping well, etc he is fine and is getting plenty of your magical milk

Regarding feeding both sides, I used to only offer one at the start but since he was about 2 months old I've been offering both (and he takes it!) every feed and always starting with the last one he fed from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD usually only fed from 1 side each feed. I'd offer the other, but she was never a big feeder.

She was a slow weight gainer (about 125-150g/w on average) but as long as the weight gain is consistent, then there's nothing much to worry about.