+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If it even helps one child it is worth the effort.
    Last edited by Jennybaby; 01-06-2012 at 22:35.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-06-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think these checks are a great idea! As a former teacher its amazing how many kids slip through the cracks and end up needed serious intervention.
    I ran the intensive literacy and numeracy classes in a Highschool, and it was really sad that the classes were full of yr 8 students who were barely at a middle primary school level.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Obviously it is different how they are doing checks in different areas - my 6 yo DS had one at 4 so it's not a 'new thing' the part regarding payments is.

Ours are done by a nurse at the kindergarten for ALL children not just some on payments!

You don't have to take your children to a GP with a 'waiting room full of sick people' you can go to your local health nurse

I cannot get my head around why people would oppose this? It's sole purpose is to identify issues such as vision/hearing impairments and learning difficulties etc things that will impact on a child's ability to learn at school!

Or in other words to help children!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (02-06-2012),Piffle  (02-06-2012),trishalishous  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am surprised at how many of you are against this check! When my GP offered it I thought why not, nothing to lose except an hour of my time. They didn't even ask if we were on FTB A or B or even mention centerlink, it wasn't until I came on here that I knew it had anything to do with centrelink?! Plus it was bulk billed so it cost me nothing.

I had absolutely no concerns about DD - she seemed perfectly healthy to me, but it did pick up a potential problem with one of her eyes - am so glad we can get it looked at now before she starts school rather than it 2 or 3 years time when a teacher notices a problem!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it's that important then it should be compulsory for all kids prior to enrolling in school. There's no need to tie it to the receipt of current family payments, especially as not all families receive these.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (02-06-2012),Guest1234  (02-06-2012),MissMuppet  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So do they do it at the kindys? DD is 4 in Jan and starting kindy next year. Will they do it there??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Ha!! Yes how incredibly unfair to take away FREE money for people unless they attend a free health service for their child, as opposed to other people not getting a look-in at benefits in the first place. Seriously.
    I find your comment incredibly offensive ... Because of our families income level the government has determined that we are eligible for additional financial support - but in what way should this take away or have anything to do with making sound medical decisions for my children.
    I have no prob with the checks being in place ... In fact I think it's great BUT the logic is flawed - this is a before starting school check my son won't start school till 2014 yet I MUST have this done this fy. Also why was I informed about this in my kinder newsletter???

It mostly annoys me because we have a huge shortage of docs in our area and now they have to do 4yo checks? Why can't this be done by a Mhn? (altho I refuse to go to Mhn now)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the simple fact is is that the things this health check is screening for don't discriminate based on your families eligibility for government assistance, in essence they are letting down those who are not eligible and therefore not required to attend screening to get their full entitlements, these are the children who will be disadvantaged.

Fyiw it turns out we don't have to attend but we will be getting it done, there is no way I want my child at a disadvantage at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a fantastic idea, and I would definitely take my 4yo for a check, when she gets to that age. TBH, I'm quite suprised at the number of people willing to refuse their children basic medical care.

I am a teacher, and I have taught both pre-school and prep (the first year of school), and I have seen how much children can struggle with basic medical issues that are easy to fix, if only they are identified. Some of the parent comments are 'well, I am the mother, and I will take my child to the doctor if I am concerned'. Sorry to say, but in my experience, mothers rarely pick up on the medical issues that their children have. It usually takes a qualified person to look specifically at different developmental areas to pick up on a specific area of need.

Parents often don't realise when their children have diabetes, developmental delays, eyesight problems, hearing issues, speech delays, lack of fine motor development, to name a couple! Unless they are qualified in the area of child development, I don't know how parents expect to be able to pick up on these issues on their own. In my experience, a lot of issues are often picked up (by the teacher) around the end of prep/ during grade 1 - so 1 - 2 years into schooling, at which point, the child has really struggled for a year or two of school, and is at a disadvantage because of an often easy to fix problem.

I personally would not make school and life more difficult for my child because I am stubborn about not wanting my child to see a doctor for a health check! I am glad that we live in a country where we do have access to medical care for our children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter just had hers done.. I am also shocked at the responses of parents saying no because "they don't have time" or "to busy" wtf!!! It's to make sure your child is developing and there is no hidden issues!!!
    I also agree my dh came with me and it was surprising how much I miss as a mother.. Like instead of rabbit dd was saying wabbit.. You just don't notice those things when you are with them all day everyday..

Before my children start school they get their eyes tested and hearing tested.. I want to make sure that there is no back ground reasons for them to struggle..

I have to agree that an expert is the best person to see to determine that your child is completely fine..