+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Luckily DD was 5 this year, not 4, so I didn't have to do it. These would have been my valid reasons to object:

1. I don't have time.
    2. I don't have time.
    3. I don't want DD in a doctors waiting room around sick people for no good reason
    4. There was (and is) absolutely nothing wrong with DD and as her mother if I had any concerns I would take her to the doctor at my discretion, and request the tests I wanted
    5. I have had nothing but bad experiences at health check ups with DD, causing unnecessary anxiety and concerns that in hindsight were absolutely unfounded. Just go and read some of the threads on here from brilliant mums who have left chn check ups in tears having been made to feel like there is something wrong with their child and/or their parenting. Completely unnecessary if you ask me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (01-06-2012),Guest1234  (01-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    These checks ARE for all kids. :s The vast majority of practices will bulk bill for it. But the withholding of benefits only applies to those who are eligible for benefits in the first place. It's just another strategy to try and motivate families to do it.

We don't qualify for the payments but I sure as heck am getting my son's development, growth, hearing and vision checked before he goes to school.
    That's even worse then, penalizing one group but not the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    If they are going to do these checks, they should be for ALL four year olds. Not just those under certain income limits.
    I whole heartedly agree. Once my kids get to 4 years old, they won't be required to undergo these checks because we aren't entitled to FTB A or B... But who is to say that we haven't missed something?

I think it's a little insulting to lower income families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    That's even worse then, penalizing one group but not the other.
    Ha!! Yes how incredibly unfair to take away FREE money for people unless they attend a free health service for their child, as opposed to other people not getting a look-in at benefits in the first place. Seriously.
    Last edited by Piffle; 01-06-2012 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 had her's a couple of weeks ago, she quite liked the experience as loves showing off so enjoyed showing the nurse how clever she was.

it was pleasant and did not involve a urine test like a PP mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Ha!! Yes how incredibly unfair to take away FREE money for people unless they attend a free health service for their child, as opposed to other people not getting a look-in at benefits in the first place. Seriously.
    But there are people getting the benefits that won't be denied the supplement payment if they don't attend. I'm one of them. I get FTB A but am not required to do the checkup in order to get the supplement. So not ALL people getting benefits will be withheld, only those who get multiple benefits. I think that is so, so sad and discriminatory

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Luckily DD was 5 this year, not 4, so I didn't have to do it. These would have been my valid reasons to object:

1. I don't have time.
    2. I don't have time.
    3. I don't want DD in a doctors waiting room around sick people for no good reason
    4. There was (and is) absolutely nothing wrong with DD and as her mother if I had any concerns I would take her to the doctor at my discretion, and request the tests I wanted
    5. I have had nothing but bad experiences at health check ups with DD, causing unnecessary anxiety and concerns that in hindsight were absolutely unfounded. Just go and read some of the threads on here from brilliant mums who have left chn check ups in tears having been made to feel like there is something wrong with their child and/or their parenting. Completely unnecessary if you ask me.
    Yes, yes, YES!!!
    Besides, I have had DD in at the doctors for a general check up, and always take her to doctors if I have any concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO its a great idea to have this and it should be done for all children entering primary school.
    Early intervention is the BEST thing for the child, no matter what the issue/problem is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

tea&toast  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Agree with shelle65! I really have no interest in taking my healthy children to a doctor! Also not really interested in being part of a discriminatory program as others have said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the 4 year old checkups are a great idea! I have worked in children's services in the past...it is good to think that there will be incentive for parents who are neglecting, abusing etc their children to take them to the docs. Not saying it doesn't exist in families who don't get centrelink, but it is a huge step forward in finding those invisible children who may be falling through the cracks. Obviously the parents that the government is trying to target aren't sitting on parenting forums trying to get ideas for better parenting practice. ;-)