+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Probably testing for whatever is in your urine for diabetes??
    I still don't agree with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I still don't agree with that
    Why?

The main purpose of this mandatory test is a result of the discovery that alot of low / no income children enter school with undetected medical problems (hearing and sight specifically)

If a child has problems when learning the early building blocks of main****** education they often fall behind for a long time after,

The main concern is SOME of the childrens parents dont notice the problems and dont get the problems assessed by a gp.

The govt realises that the 'threat' of loosing money nay be enough to sway the parents who do not bother and thus lower the chancebof undetected medical problems going undetected while a child is trying to learn

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (01-06-2012),tea&toast  (01-06-2012),trishalishous  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For one I was told by a nurse that it was purely for statistics.
    I don't see the point in testing a child's urine for no reason. Yes if they suspected an illness or issue, but just because? I think that's unnecessary and invasive and a waste of money and resources.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    There was NO urine test when we did 2 weeks ago. I would think that they suspected something. I can think of a few things that it maybe for based on the questions we were asked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in this field and it's definitely not done for "statistics" (whatever the heck that means)!! All information is confidential and not submitted to public health. As a PP said it's to pick up health problems including vision troubles, hearing difficulties, learning difficulties, physical issues such as weight problems etc. before the child starts school. The urine test is not standard but may be done by a practice if they have particular concerns about a child.

In QLD it is also linked with the 3.5-4 year vaccination and you will get the second part of the maternity immunisation allowance.

It's a great and valuable service and I can't imagine a single valid reason not to do it!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (01-06-2012),tea&toast  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are going to do these checks, they should be for ALL four year olds. Not just those under certain income limits.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

CMF  (01-06-2012),FearlessLeader  (02-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (01-06-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    so we dont recieve any cl at all does that mean dd cant be tested??.what if she does have issues?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree with Stiflers Mum... ALL kids should be checked if they're going to make it essential. I guess there's no way to police that though, and it'd be costly to go and check up on parents who didn't do it... so saying, "Well take your money if you don't," is probably the easiest way to go about it for now... most people will go just for fear of that happening if they don't.

This wasn't around when DD was 4 though... but generally most kids will get their needles at that age anyway... so hopefully kids are getting a quick once-over at least.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    If they are going to do these checks, they should be for ALL four year olds. Not just those under certain income limits.
    I agree, and integrated into the enrollment process of schools.

Not sure what the nurse I spoke to is on about then, coz she said to was to get overall statistics. Of course it will help those who need it, I doubt doctors would overlook any issues found during the check, but I don't really see the benefit to it. I just said I wasn't doing it and there were no questions asked and clearly centrelink won't be following it up me coz I'm not in the 'affected group'. I just don't see it working the way they would like for it to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    These checks ARE for all kids. :s The vast majority of practices will bulk bill for it. But the withholding of benefits only applies to those who are eligible for benefits in the first place. It's just another strategy to try and motivate families to do it.

We don't qualify for the payments but I sure as heck am getting my son's development, growth, hearing and vision checked before he goes to school.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

tea&toast  (01-06-2012),trishalishous  (01-06-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast